Softball sweeps Eastern Michigan, wins first MAC title since 2004

For the first time in 13 years, Central Michigan softball is back on top of the Mid-American conference. 

After clinching the MAC West Division Championship with wins over Ball State last weekend, the Chippewas needed one win in the double-header at Eastern Michigan on Sunday to be crowned the regular season champions. 

CMU defeated the Eagles 6-4 to claim the outright MAC title in game one. For five innings, the Chippewas trailed 1-0 before the offense erupted in the fifth. 

Freshman Kaila Fulker entered the game as pinch hitter in the fifth, driving in three off the first home run of her career. CMU would go onto score two more runs in the sixth, and hold off a four hit late-game charge by EMU to take the 6-4 victory.

Senior Rachael Knapp pitched all seven innings for the Chippewas, giving up nine hits, four errors and picking up nine strikeouts. The ace is now 21-8 on the year with the win.

CMU completed the sweep of Eastern Michigan in their 5-4 game two win. Juniors Hanna Warren and Taylor Weaver each pitched for half of the game with Weaver picking up the win.

Freshman Morgan Gardner and senior Taylor Lewallen each recorded two hits and two RBIs.

CMU will open MAC tournament play as the no. 1 seed and will face no. 8 seed Western Michigan on Wednesday at 1 p.m. in Akron, Ohio.