Climax football manager competes in 28th SOMI Summer Games

Most athletes decide to end their careers after 10 to 20 years. That isn't the case for Special Olympics athletes.

Climax native Eddie Sturm, representing Area 16, is competing in his 28th SOMI Summer Games. Now 36, Sturm has been competing in the games since he was eight years old.

The summer games is a perfect opportunity to grow as a friend and as an athlete — Sturm is no exception. His father, Greg, has noticed his son’s growth over the past 28 years competing in the games.

“He’s changed a lot from what he use to do,” Greg said. “(Eddie) is doing a lot more walking events as he gets older, and he still likes the competition.”

When asked about his favorite part of the events, Sturm said he enjoys competing with his friends. His parents also enjoy watching the athletes participate, as well as a weekend away from home.

“This is our weekend vacation,” said Sturm's mother, Connie. “We love it.”

Sturm finished Saturday’s events with a fifth place finish in the standing long jump, a fourth place finish in the shot put. Disappointed that he had yet to medal Sturm finish his day off with a silver medal finish in the 100-meter walk.

Back home, Sturm manages the Climax-Scotts football team. He has been with the team since 1999 and has grown to be a well-known member of the community during his 18-year tenure on the sidelines. He can also be seen at many C-S basketball games as well, cheering on his beloved Panthers.

Ed Sturm said his son's reaction to competition is similar to his reaction during Climax-Scotts football games.

“When he gets home after a loss he’s upset," Greg said. "We (have to) work on that but he’s doing better at it.”