Employee at Meijer bakery diagnosed with Hepatitis A

19293_logot

A bakery employee at the Mount Pleasant Meijer, located at 1015 Pickard St., has been diagnosed with Hepatitis A. 

The Michigan departments of Health and Human Services, and Agriculture and Rural Development are advising anyone who consumed on-site baked goods at the store from Aug. 23 to Sept. 20 to promptly contact their health care provider for assessment. 

A vaccine or immune globulin (IG) may protect against the disease if given within two weeks following exposure. MDHHS and MDARD are working with the Central Michigan Health Department. 

"These baked goods will bear the Meijer Bakery label, and would include individual items such as single doughnuts and rolls from the self-serve case," a Thursday press release stated. "Consumers with any of these products still in their home should discard them immediately."

Freezing does not kill the virus, according to the departments. The risk of exposure is low and no other infections have been identified at this time.

Hepatitis A symptoms include: A sudden onset of abdominal discomfort, fever, diarrhea, dark urine, and yellow skin and eyes. The onset of illness typically takes 15 to 50 days.

Vaccines are available at some major pharmacies and the Mount Pleasant Meijer is providing free vaccinations to employees and customers concerned about exposure.

"While vaccination provides the best protection, frequent hand washing with soap and warm water after using the bathroom and before preparing food can help prevent the spread of hepatitis A," the release stated. "Appropriately cooking foods can also help prevent infection."

Anyone who develops symptoms of hepatitis A infection should stay home and contact their health care provider, according to the release. 

Geralyn Lasher, deputy director of MDHHS External Relations and Communications, said Meijer has been very cooperative in working with the departments. 

Those concerned may contact Central Michigan Health Department with questions or if they need help finding vaccines. 

For more information about viral hepatitis, visit www.michigan.gov/hepatitis or www.cdc.gov/hepatitis. For information regarding immunizations, visit Michigan’s 'I Vaccinate Campaign' at www.ivaccinate.org.