Gas leak shuts down street north of campus


19293_logot


A gas leak at 502 S. University Avenue shut down a portion of East Locust Street around 8 p.m. Friday.

Firefighters and Consumers Energy workers took approximately 30 minutes to shut off the gas. 

Mount Pleasant firefighter Phil Nartker said the leak was caused by "misdigging" on the property. 

Locust Street from South University Avenue to South Main Street was blocked off while responders attended to the gas leak. Workers removed the tape on both sides around 8:30 p.m.

Nartker said low winds caused the odor of gas to linger near the surrounding block. 

Consumers Energy was still on scene for follow-ups.

Managing Editor Evan Sasiela contributed to this report.



Comments powered by Disqus

Please note All comments are eligible for publication in Central Michigan Life.