Student Government Association introduces new administration, aspirations for the year

mg-6054

Student Government Association President Anna Owens speaks during the Student Government Association General Meeting in the Bovee University Center Auditorium on Sept. 9.

Student Government Association President Anna Owens emphasized the importance of representation of the student body during her introduction at the SGA meeting at 7 p.m., Monday, Sept. 11. 

The first meeting of the semester began in the Bovee University Center Auditorium with a moment of silence to honor the victims of the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. 

Throughout the meeting, Owens said SGA would increase its presence on campus this academic year with the help of new and returning members. Owens added she and Vice President Derek Sturvist are aspiring to increase transparency with the administration by beginning each meeting with General Board.

General Board consists of the combination of both senate and the house of representatives meeting together. 

Sturvist reiterated Owens’ statement regarding administrative transparency.

“We really hope that (all) of us in this room view this as our administration,” Sturvist said. “We are building our experience right now, and that’s exciting.”

Membership Director JiJi Lee presented requirements for SGA membership eligibility. Lee referenced membership packets, saying it contained a dress code explanation and membership expectations. Lee also spoke about the membership application for SGA.

The membership form is to be completed online via the SGA OrgSync portal and is required for registered student organization representatives, proxys and senators. 

Deadline for the application for SGA membership is at 11:59 p.m., Oct. 2.

During the meeting, Sturvist announced 11 open seats in the senate. Those running for senate will have time to speak before the meeting at 6:45 p.m. Monday, Sept. 18.

A vote will be made following questions for the candidates. Those interested in running for senate must be a member of SGA, have a grade point average of 2.0 or higher and must not be an RSO representative. 

After adjournment of General Board, members dispersed within the UC in preparation for the SGA committee chairs to present their mission statements. There are six committees within SGA: Academic Affairs, Diversity, Governmental Affairs, RSO Growth and Development, Spirits and Traditions, and Sustainability. 

SGA allows RSO representatives to choose the committee they would like to dedicate themselves to during the year.

Senator Taylor Woodall, a senior from Howell, said she looks forward to finishing the draft for legislation she is planning to propose this year. The legislation would call on Central Michigan University’s administration to recognize American Sign Language as a foreign language to count toward earning a Bachelor of Arts degree.

In Owens’ concluding remarks, she noted a purpose of SGA is to maintain progression within CMU.

“We do all this in hopes to create a healthy and diverse learning environment while fostering a positive image of our university,” Owens said.