50th season of women's basketball tips off with Maroon and Gold scrimmage

35670_sports_spread_3f

The women’s basketball team huddles together before a game against Eastern Michigan on March 4 in McGuirk Arena. 

Coming off one of its most successful seasons in program history, fans and alumni will get the opportunity to celebrate the program's golden anniversary with Team 50 themselves. 

The Central Michigan women's basketball team will host a weekend full of alumni events, headlined by the Maroon and Gold Scrimmage at 11 a.m. Saturday at McGuirk Arena. 

Head coach Sue Guevara will begin her 11th season after leading CMU to 23 wins (second most in school history) and a regular-season Mid-American Conference championship in 2016-17. Guevara became the school's all-time winningest women's basketball coach and has built the Chippewas into a perennial power in the MAC. 

Guevara leads an experienced group that features four returning starters. Those players include Presley Hudson, Tinara Moore, Reyna Frost and Cassie Breen. 

Hudson was named team MVP and a First Team All-MAC selection. The junior guard led the Chippewas in scoring last season, averaging16.8 points per game. Her 537 points is good for third in CMU history in a season. She also set a program record by dropping 43 points in a single game. Hudson's 156 assists also tied a CMU season record. 

Moore too was named team MVP and a First Team All-MAC selection. She was also honored as the MAC Defensive Player of the Year. The senior forward led the MAC and set a program record with 64 blocks last season. Moore also set a CMU single-game record swatting away nine shots versus Northern Illinois. 

The team will also host a variety of events in celebration of the golden anniversary.  

On Friday, CMU will host an alumni dinner at 6 p.m. at the John G. Kulhavi Events Center that includes a tour of the facilities. 

On Saturday, fans can enjoy a coffee with Guevara from 9:30-10:30 a.m. in the Upper Club Lounge before tip-off. 

Following the scrimmage, the team will be at Alumni Village near the Rose ponds for the women's basketball tailgate from 12:30-3:30 p.m.