CMU child development center closes after death of teacher

19293_logot

Children and staff grieved Wednesday after the death of a lead teacher at a Central Michigan University child development center. 

Mari Potter died the evening of Oct. 3 after a short illness, according to a Facebook post from the Child Development & Learning Laboratory. Potter was a lead teacher in the CDLL in the College of Education and Human Services.

Mari Potter

Operating out of the Education and Human Services Building, the CDLL was closed Wednesday.

Central Michigan Life attempted to contact the CDLL offices for comment. A prerecorded message played stating the CDLL was closed due to "unforeseen circumstances."

Potter is a 1996 alumna and has a degree in Child Development, according to the CDLL website. She worked with the Head Start program for 22 years before coming to CDLL in 2010. She worked with CMU’s Study Abroad program where she worked at a pair of orphanages in Mexico and volunteered in Nepal.

Many people commented on the post expressing their condolences for Potter. 

“I am at an absolute loss for words,” Caitlin Smart-Bothwell wrote of Potter. “She was the kindest and dearest teacher; who holds a very special place in our hearts. Prayers and love to all of her loved ones.”

"So heartbreaking!" wrote Meredith Nicole Vedder. "She was a fantastic teacher and taught me a lot. Praying for her family!

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →