Crime Log: Police say man viewed 'child sexually abusive material' in library

35969_29458_policept

The following incidents were handled by the Central Michigan University Police Department and Mount Pleasant Police Department from Oct. 3-9.

Oct. 9

Mount Pleasant native Kikki Alaniz, 26, was arrested on a charge of fleeing and eluding the scene after he failed to stop for an officer near Washington and High streets around 12:30 a.m. Alaniz drove into Gratiot County and was apprehended at Hubscher Park, said Officer Jeff Browne of the MPPD. He said he fled because he didn’t want to go to jail for driving with a suspended license. He was also charged with driving without a license. His bond was set at 10 percent of 10,000. 

Oct. 8

A 21-year-old Mount Pleasant man was the victim of car theft after his 2008 Pontiac G6 was stolen outside his house. The theft took place on the 700 block of West Michigan Street. The man said he left his keys in the car the previous night and woke up to a missing vehicle. 

A man was caught urinating on a building around 12:30 a.m. on the 200 block of West Michigan Street. An officer witnessed the man unzip his pants and begin urinating. He refused a breathalyzer, but admitted to drinking 10 beers. The man was taken to Chippewa Tribal Court.

Oct. 7

Police responded to a credit card fraud incident between two Herrig Hall roommates. Lt. Cameron Wassman of the CMUPD said it occurred between Oct. 5-7. An 18-year-old woman is accused of using another 18-year-old woman’s credit card. There are about $800 worth of charges, Wassman said. Information was sent to the Isabella County Prosecutor’s Office for charges.

A 61-year-old Mount Pleasant man was arrested on a charge of domestic violence for pushing his 36-year-old girlfriend around midnight on the 900 block of Center Drive. The man said he had been drinking for most of the day and became angry. No medical treatment was necessary. 

Oct. 6

A traffic stop led to a search of a vehicle and possible criminal charges around 11 p.m. at Washington Street and Ottawa Court. A vehicle was pulled over for no headlights when an officer smelled a marijuana odor coming from the vehicle, Wassman said. After a search of the vehicle, police found two grams of cannabis and drug paraphernalia. There were five people in the vehicle and it belonged to somebody else. Information was sent to the prosecuting attorney for charges and the incident was turned over to the Office of Student Conduct.

Oct. 4

A non-aggravated assault occurred before 9:30 p.m. in Herrig Hall. A 19-year-old man is accused of pushing an 18-year-old woman out of a dorm room. Wassman said it did not appear to be a domestic relationship. The incident was turned over the Office of Student Conduct and information was forwarded to the prosecuting attorney for charges.

A 21-year-old woman had her car keyed stemming from an argument in lot 18. Wassman said there was an argument between the woman and another individual about the woman stealing a parking spot. When she returned to her car, she discovered it was keyed. Wassman said there are no suspects.

A 53-year-old man was arrested for obscenity after police say he was viewing child sexually abusive material in the Charles V. Park Library around 4:30 p.m.

Headphones and a laptop worth an estimated $1,500 were stolen from an 18-year-old woman in Trout Hall. Wassman said the incident most likely occurred between Sept. 29 and Oct. 2. Police are trying to develop suspects, Wassman said.

A 25-year-old Midland man was arrested on a charge of trespassing around 1:30 a.m. after he refused to leave Wayside Central when asked. Police arrived and also asked the man to leave — he refused. 

Oct. 3

A fraudulent parking permit was found in lot 62. Wassman said the incident was turned over to the Office of Student Conduct and involves a 21-year-old man.

About Evan Sasiela

Evan Sasiela is the University Editor at Central Michigan Life and a senior at Central Michigan ...

View Posts by Evan Sasiela →