DEA agents portrayed on Netflix series "Narcos" to speak on campus

19293_logot

Steve Murphy and Javier Pena, the Drug Enforcement Administration agents who helped capture Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar, are scheduled to speak at 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 17 in Plachta Auditorium. 

The two are portrayed on the Netflix original series “Narcos.” 

The lecture is presented by Central Michigan University’s Program Board and is free and open to the public.

Florida senior Elizabeth Reyna-Hernandez, Program Board’s lecture director, said Murphy and Pena will talk about their experience working for the DEA.

She came up with the idea for this event over the summer when thinking about some of her favorite things. She loves Netflix and thought other students would also be interested in an event related to a popular Netflix series. 

“Netflix is something I really like so I went through the shows I watched and ‘Narcos’ was on that list,” Reyna-Hernandez said. “I did some research and found out Steve and Javier do lectures so I thought it would be something CMU students would like to hear about.”

“Narcos” is a drama series that tells the story of Colombia’s drug cartels. The first two seasons of the series focuses on telling the story of Pablo Escobar. The third season, which premiered Sept. 1, focuses on the Cali Cartel — a group based around the city of Cali, Colombia that reached its height after Escobar’s death. 

Reyna-Hernandez said there will be a meet and greet after the lecture. Details for the meet and greet will be announced on Program Board's social media accounts once they are finalized.