Field hockey falls to Appalachian State, losing streak extends

fh-1

Senior back Harriet Aburn blocks during the game against Appalachian State on Oct. 8 at the Field Hockey Complex.

On Senior Day, the Central Michigan field hockey team suffered a 5-0 loss to Appalachian State.

CMU extended its losing streak to 27 games, and has gone eight-straight games without scoring a goal. 

“(Appalachian State) is a very good team,” said head coach Molly Pelowoski. “I thought we started off on the backfoot, maybe due the distractions of senior day. We (didn’t) execute fully during the match.”

Appalachian State (5-8, 1-3) struck with a goal from Ali Williams 4:30 into the game to take a 1-0 lead. CMU (0-13, 0-3) threatened with two opportunities off penalty corner’s, but the Mountaineers kept momentum with goals from Taylor Cimbalist and Chloe Bell 47 seconds apart late in the half, giving Appalachian State a 3-0. 

The Chippewas registered one shot on goal in the half. Sophomore goalkeeper Abigail Ebersole allowed three goals on five shots. 

Appalachian State came out of the break with a goal 2:27 seconds into the half from Cimbalist second of the game. The Mountaineers would add another goal at the 57:03 mark from Rebecca McLean to take a commanding 5-0 lead. 

Junior goalkeeper Lily Amadio came in the second half to relieve Ebersole. She allowed two goals on three shots.

CMU was outshot 13-9, and outshot on net 8-3, but won the corner penalty battle 4-2.

Six seniors were recognized before the game. The seniors participated on the 2014 Mid-American Conference regular season championship team.

“They’ve obviously weathered a very heavy storm in the past three seasons, not a lot of wins to their career," Pelowski said. "They’ve done so much to make the culture of our program really strong and very positive.”

CMU is back in action at 4 p.m. on Tuesday against Michigan State University at the CMU Field Hockey Complex.

“We have to be like a caged animal,” Pelowski said. “We need to be ready to pounce, (MSU) is coming to our home turf. We need to capitalize on our opportunity to play again.”