Student Government Association makes the most out of scheduling conflicts, continues committees and senate meetings

mg-1295

Student Government Association senators meet in the Bovee University Center Mackinaw Room on Oct. 23.

Due to scheduling difficulties, Student Government Association withdrew from their regular rendezvous to make room for the Speak Up Speak Out forum regarding immigration on Oct. 23. 

The Bovee University Center Auditorium is the weekly meeting place for SGA, but since a double-booking issue created a strain on space for both SGA and Speak Up Speak Out, SGA withdrew from their reservation and cancelled house and General Board meetings for the week. 

Senate met in the UC Mackinaw Room, where Senate Leader Caroline Murray reminded senators of the Town Hall meeting that will take place from 7-9 p.m. Nov. 29. She said the purpose of the meeting is to provide an opportunity for the student body to come to senators with their comments and concerns. President Anna Owens, Vice President Derek Sturvist and Press Secretary Joshua Geary will also be in attendance to answer questions from the audience.  

Senators also received their name-tags during the meeting. Senators will be identified by these name tags while they table throughout campus. The tags state their name and status within SGA so they can identify themselves to constituents.

Committees remained active, with the Spirits and Traditions Committee planning to develop a spring formal as well as a spirit week. Spirit Week is set to begin Monday, Nov. 13 with Pajama Day. 

Diversity Committee confirmed this week's "Culture, Not a Costume" campaign, which will take place from noon to 5 p.m. on Oct. 26. The committee is also developing a diversity week, set to begin the second week of November. 

SGA will reinstate General Board and house in the UC Auditorium next week.