Football scores 21 points in fourth quarter to complete comeback, snaps losing streak to WMU

western1
Senior quarterback Shane Morris runs the ball during the game against Western Michigan on Nov. 1 in Waldo Stadium.

“If there’s one thing I know about CMU football, it's that we are never out of a game.”

Senior wide receiver Corey Willis said that after his game-winning 77-yard touchdown reception, eventually leading to a 35-28 CMU win Wednesday night at Waldo Stadium. 

Before that, however, with the rain falling and the game getting to the midway point of the fourth quarter, Western Michigan was in control with a 28-14 lead over the Central Michigan football team.

Then the Broncos fumbled. Then CMU blocked a punt. Then the Chippewas executed an onside kick.

It all led to CMU scoring the final 21 points in the fourth quarter to top the Broncos. 

The win was head coach John Bonamego’s first victory against WMU in his Chippewa coaching tenure.

“I’m really at a loss for words. I think I’m emotionally spent,” Bonamego said. “I’ve never been more proud of a team in my life. They earned it, they showed their heart and I’m so proud of them for coming together to have the will to win that game.”

While CMU finished with everything falling in its favor, the game didn't start that way.

WMU running back Jarvion Franklin scored on the first drive, exploding through the right side of the line for a 47-yard touchdown to give the Broncos an early 7-0 advantage.

The other two WMU tailbacks, Davon Tucker and Jamauri Bogan, each scored a touchdown, helping the Broncos to 241 first half rushing yards and a 21-7 lead.

CMU only managed 82 total yards on 27 plays in the opening half.

Out of the break, CMU responded in a big way.

After finding Willis for a 37-yard reception on a third and 16, quarterback transfer Shane Morris capped off the drive with his second score of the game, this one from 8-yards out. The Chippewas trailed 21-14 early in the third quarter.

Then the Chippewas were able to force a Bronco punt, looking to regain the ball for a possible tie-game.

Instead, senior wideout Mark Chapman had the key turnover midway through the third quarter.

He muffed a punt, setting up the Broncos deep in CMU territory as it resulted in an 8-yard Franklin rushing score, giving WMU the 28-14 lead.

However, WMU would commit a costly turnover of its own. Franklin had the ball punched out by senior Darwin Kelly and junior linebacker Alex Briones recovered it.

Sophomore tailback Jonathan Ward had two plays for 43 total yards, scoring on a 29-yard rush to make the score 28-21 in favor of WMU with just over nine minutes remaining.

After blocking the punt, Morris was able to connect with senior Eric Cooper for a 9-yard touchdown, and the game was tied at 28 all.

It all set up for Willis' play of the game.

Streaking down the middle of the field, Morris led the wide receiver with a perfect pass in-stride, resulting in the game-winning touchdown.

Willis said the game winning touchdown meant everything to him, but he wanted to give his teammates credit for making it possible.

“My play definitely doesn't tell the whole story man,” Willis said. “Jonathan Ward had a amazing day, offense played great, defense played great and I’m just happy we came out of here with a win.”

While WMU did out-rush the Chippewas 263-74, CMU out-gained the Broncos through the air 130-31.

Ward ended the game with 132 yards on the ground and 81 receiving yards.

Morris completed 12-of-30 passes for 243 yards and a pair of touchdowns through the air and on the ground.

He said his game-winning pass was something you “dream of” as a kid.

“You take the team down the field in the last two minutes against your rival. It’s unreal,” Morris said. “I have chills right now talking about it. It was a great team win.”

The Chippewas take on Eastern Michigan Wednesday, Nov. 8 at Kelly/Shorts Stadium. Kickoff is yet to be determined.