FantastiCon pop culture convention comes to Mount Pleasant Nov. 11
Mount Pleasant residents will be able to experience a pop culture convention in their own backyard when FantastiCon comes to Soaring Eagle Casino Nov. 11 thru Nov. 12.
FantastiCon is a mid-sized pop culture convention that began in Metro Detroit in 2013. The event was founded as a less expensive alternative to conventions like Youmacon and Motor City Comic Con,
"We wanted to do a show that was more family-friendly and affordable," said Joe Nieporte, who co-founded FantastiCon with business partner Marty Hirchak. "We still offer everything the bigger shows do, just on a smaller scale and at a more affordable price."
The event goes from Saturday, Nov. 11 and Sunday Nov. 12 at the Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort Entertainment Hall. Saturday passes cost $7.50 in advance and $12 at the door. Sunday passes are $5 in advance and $8 at the door, with two-day passes only available in advance for $10.
FantastiCon will feature nine special guests from throughout the entertainment industry, including:
- Comic book artists Arvell Jones, Scott Rosema and Jason Moore
- Michael L. Peters, author, illustrator and publisher of the graphic novel "Crescent City Magick: Welcome to New Orleans"
- Joe Cooley, a professional magician from Bay City
- Matthew Atchley, a professional artist known for his illustrations of film and television characters
- Daniel Philips, a makeup special effects artist who has worked on films like "The Hobbit" and "Oz the Great and Powerful"
- Actor Eugene Clark, best known for his role as the zombie 'Big Daddy' in "Land of the Dead"
- Tugg the Superhero Dog, a celebrity bull terrier who became famous after being rescued from abuse by police officers in Fort Worth, Texas
The event also features members of the cosplay groups Star Wars 501st Legion and the Great Lakes Ghostbusters Coalition.
Life-sized replicas of the DeLorean Time Machine from the "Back to the Future" film series and KITT, the car from the "Knight Rider" television series will be featured at the event.