Nine football players recieve All-MAC team honors

fball_rusco-1

Senior defensive back Amari Coleman blocks during the football game against Northern Illinois University on Nov. 24 at Kelly Shorts Stadium. 

Nine Central Michigan football players have been named to an All-Mid-American Conference team Wednesday.

Seniors Amari Coleman and Joe Ostman were named to the All-MAC First Team Defense. Coleman, a defensive back from Flint, was on the 2016 All-MAC First Team as well. Ostman was listed on the All-MAC  Second Team a year ago and the Third Team in 2014.

Coleman had three interceptions, seven pass break-ups, and 42 tackles in 2017. The interception against Eastern Michigan that was taken back for a touchdown sealed CMU's 42-30 win. It was the third pick-six of his CMU tenure. 

Ostman, a defensive end, ranks No. 2 in the nation with 12 sacks. The St. Ignace native leads CMU with 18.5 tackles for a loss.

Senior receiver Corey Willis, sophomore running back Jonathan Ward, senior safety Josh Cox and junior linebacker Malik Fountain were named to the All-MAC Second Team.

In nine games, Willis had 42 receptions for 625 yards and nine scores.

Ward was the leading rusher and scored nine touchdowns for the Chippewas. He tallied 1,351 all-purpose yards in 2017.

Cox ranks No. 2 in the country with six interceptions. That’s the second most in program history and the highest total for a player since 1988. Cox also leads the team with 82 tackles. 

Senior tight end Tyler Conklin, senior wideout Mark Chapman and senior lineman J.P. Quinn earned a spot on the All-MAC Third Team. 

In five games, Conklin managed to be one of the conference's top tight ends with 28 catches for 406 yards and five touchdowns. He has accepted an invite to play in the 2018 Reese’s Senior Bowl.

Chapman leads CMU with 54 receptions and 804 receiving yards. He has scored five touchdowns in 2017.

Quinn has started 10 games at center, and one game at right and left guard. He’s made 27 starts in his Chippewa career.