Men's basketball assistant coach Kevin Gamble reflects on NBA, coaching career

coach
Assistant Coach Kevin Gamble is interviewed in McGuirk Arena on Nov. 8.

Central Michigan men's basketball assistant coach Kevin Gamble used to play college basketball under head coach Keno Davis' father, Dr. Tom Davis.

The 10-year NBA veteran has developed former CMU players to play at the professional level. Most recently, guards Marcus Keene and Braylon Rayson have moved on to play professionally.

Gamble coached with Keno at Providence for two seasons (2010-2012) before coming to Mount Pleasant in 2012. 

Gamble played collegially at the University of Iowa. He was a part of the Hawkeyes' 1986-87 run to the Elite Eight after winning 30 games. 

Gamble was drafted in the third round of the 1987 NBA Draft by the Portland Trail Blazers. He was traded to the Boston Celtics where he spent the majority of his career (1988-94) before finishing his career with the Sacramento Kings in 1988.

Central Michigan Life spoke with Gamble about how his professional experiences translate to coaching.

CM-Life: How did your relationship with Davis come about?

Gamble: I was a head coach myself at (The University of Illinois at Springfield) which I did for eight years, and that's when I got a phone call from Keno’s (Davis) dad who I always talk to a couple times a year. After my playing days as I got into coaching, I still use all of the coaching philosophies I learned from him. 

I eventually received a phone call from Keno, and he sounds just like his dad who is a jokester. So, I’m thinking he’s playing a joke on me, but it wasn’t. I went to visit Providence and my wife is from that area and it was an easy transition. But my coaching career blossomed from Keno and his father and the relationship I had with them.

You spent a lot of time in the NBA, how do you use that experience through coaching?

When I showed up to practice, Larry Bird would already be there putting up shots by the hundreds before practice even started.

I try to let these guys hear my examples of Bird, Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan and how they did it, which is working hard and as often as you possibly can. That is the only way you ever make it.

Are there any specific memories of playing that stick out?

I learned a lot from the NBA and made relationships along the way that I’ll never forget.

How do you develop players at CMU?

Mainly, I try to find (the players) weaknesses because a lot of kids come in with a lot of strengths, such as being good shooters and what not.

I’m primarily the offensive guy, so I focus on getting them better on that end. (With) Cecil Williams I’m trying to help him work on his post moves as well as his outside game. Josh Kozinski is primarily a shooter, I want to work on his pump-fakes and escape dribbles. A lot of repetition is key.

Is coaching something you saw yourself doing when you played the game?

Well, I was always a student of the game. I had to be a smart player because even though I spent 10 years in the NBA, I wasn't one of those fantastic athletes. I had to learn how to use a pick, learn how to handle the ball and be strategic on the court.

I think I always had (coaching) in me. It wasn’t one of my top goals, but when Illinois Springfield gave me the chance to give back to young men playing the game, I bought into the idea.

What do you like about coaching in the community of Mount Pleasant?

I like the people. I’m a Midwest guy who was born and raised in Springfield, Illinois and the people in this area are similar to the way I grew up. Both of my kids went to high school here at Sacred Heart and I have fun living here.

The Chippewas bleed maroon through and through and it’s fun to be a part of that community. I’m getting older, sometimes I have to remind the players I played in the NBA, but they keep me young so I intend to keep doing it.

Is there something you want to see this team grow into this season?

To get better night in and night out. What we’ve seen so far is just that. I think these guys like playing with each other a lot and that will help with chemistry on and off the court.

You always have a benchmark of wins you want to get to, but we can be a really good team.