Detroit poet to read from new book Nov. 28

19293_logot

Poet Vievee Francis, known for her work in and about the city of Detroit, will read passages from her newest book, "Forest Primeval" at 8 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 28 in the Charles V. Park Library Auditorium. 

Part of the Meijer Visiting Writers Series, the event is co-hosted by Central Michigan University's Office of Institutional Diversity and the departments of English Language and Literature and Women and Gender Studies.

Born in Texas, Francis has taught English and poetry at Warren Wilson College and North Carolina State. She is currently an associate professor of English at Dartmouth College.

Francis lived in Detroit for 15 years, where she worked with local writers and artists to foster a  community for young poets. 

Originally released in 2015, "Forest Primeval" won the 2016 Hurston/Wright Legacy Award in the poetry category, and was a finalist for the 2015 Balcones Poetry Prize. "Forest Primeval" is her third collection of poetry, preceded by "Horse in the Dark" in 2012 and "Blue-Tail Fly" in 2006. 

Francis also serves as associate editor for the journal Callaloo, which publishes art, literature and critical essays relating to the African diaspora.

Prior to the reading, Francis will be in the Park Library Baber Room at 2 p.m. to talk with students and answer questions.  The reading will be immediately followed by a book signing in the Baber Room.