Volleyball sweeps Western Michigan on Senior Night

dsc-1526

The CMU Chippewas celebrate a point against NIU  at the CMU Volleyball game against NIU on Nov. 3 at McGuirk Arena. 

With the combination of a rivalry game and senior night, fans at McGuirk Arena were absolutely electric. 

Central Michigan volleyball used the energy of the crowd to sweep rival Western Michigan in three straight sets. 

Head coach Mike Gawlik has been proud of his seniors all season, but especially tonight. 

"We lean on them a lot to carry a big part of our leadership and the burden offensively and defensively," Gawlik said. "I do think the four seniors are the heartbeat of our team."

The Chippewas jumped to a 4-0 lead out of the gates before controlling the majority of set one winning 25-19. 

The second set was a back and forth affair before CMU found a way to pull off a 25-23 win behind Jordan Bueter's five kills. 

Central Michigan found a way to win another close set 25-22 completing the sweep of the Broncos. 

The Chippewas were led by Jordan Bueter with 15 kills and 14 digs. Grace Butler led the team with 33 assists.

The Seniors 

Jordan Bueter 

"It's been a wild ride with everybody, we've had our ups and our downs but I think we're finishing out our senior year pretty tough," Bueter said. "We've got a really good chance at the tournament which has been our goals since we got here. It's been a wild ride but it's been worth it."

Bueter is a biomedical sciences major and will be attending nursing school in the future. 

Paige Carey

"It's crazy looking back, it goes by so fast," Carey said. "I think all of our focus is on finishing super strong and getting a great last couple weeks of our volleyball careers." 

Carey is currently studying for the LSAT and is hoping to attend law school next fall. 

Courtney Hiltibran

"Coming in we we're just young wanting to volleyball and now our times coming to an end. It's a really bittersweet feeling," Hiltibran said. "We're just looking to putting it to them these last four games and driving with energy and our love for volleyball as we end our career."

Hilitibran hopes to be a television host someday as she will enter the broadcasting field back home in Ohio. 

Taylor Robertson

"It's been an interesting, very long journey especially this senior year," Robertson said. "I'm petal to the metal, full-throttle trying to get these last couple weeks out of volleyball. I'm just trying to live in the moment." 

Robertson is currently in graduate school and hopes to get her PhD afterward.