Women's basketball falls to Purdue 79-69 in season opener

womens-bball-vs-purdue093
RS Freshman guard Micaela Kelly drives to the basket on Nov. 10 at McGuirk Arena.

During the first half of Friday night's season opener, the Central Michigan women's basketball team had a 16-point advantage over a Purdue. 

Heading into halftime leading the Boilermakers 37-25, it seemed like win No. 300 for head coach Sue Guevara would come by taking down a Power Five conference team at home. 

However, the Chippewas' 23 turnovers led to 27 points for the Boilermakers, who defeated the Chippewas 79-69 in the season opener Friday , Nov. 10 at McGuirk Arena. 

"It was a very disappointing ending for us," Guevara said. "We struggled to take care of the ball, struggled to defend and we were on the struggle bus in the third quarter and that's about where we lost it."

Following a first half performance in which CMU (0-1) held Purdue (1-0) to 35 percent shooting  and out-rebounding the Boilermakers 26-8, CMU was out scored 36-13 in the third quarter.

Junior Reyna Frost picked up her first double-double of the year with 23 points and 16 rebounds. 

Frost said the experience of playing a high-caliber team like Purdue will help the Chippewas going forward. 

"I think it builds a lot of confidence, especially for our freshman," Frost said. "Going into (Mid-American Conference play), they can realize we can play with anyone."

Hudson hits 1,000 points

Minutes into the first quarter, junior Presley Hudson surpassed 1,000 career points. Hudson finished the game with 21 points and now sits at No. 24 overall in program history for career points with 1,017.

"It's an accomplishment, but that's not what I'm focused on," Hudson said. "I'm focused on my team and getting better as a whole team."

Guevara stressed the importance of Hudson's role as a member of the team and the catalyst to the offense.

"(Presley) is our go-to," Guevara said. "People know to stop (CMU), you've got to stop Presley Hudson, so that's a very nice compliment to her."

Next up

The Chippewas face another Power Five team when they take on Vanderbilt at 7 p.m. Nov. 14 in McGuirk Arena.