Sigma Alpha Epsilon HQ suspends social activities involving alcohol

sae-letters

The Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity letters outside the Central Michigan University chapter's house. 

The national Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity organization has issued a temporary suspension of all chapter activities across the nation that involve alcohol.

The moratorium will allow the organization to conduct research, gather feedback and “reaffirm our support of other Greek-letter organizations,” according to a release on the national chapter’s website.

The suspension will run from Dec. 4 to Feb. 28.

“The purpose of the moratorium is not the exclusive study of alcohol use or consumption,” the release states. “Instead, we are focusing on how we can enrich our environment, culture and leadership.”

Members of Central Michigan University's Sigma Alpha Epsilon chapter were not available for comment at this time. 

Alumni-only events can continue to include alcohol. Students can attend as long as the number doesn’t exceed a 2-to-1 ratio of alumni and students. 

The suspension applies to all chapters, regardless of whether they have violated the fraternity’s health and safety codes. The release referenced events that have occurred in other Greek Life organizations across the country as reason for the moratorium. 

“With the tragic deaths and serious injuries in other organizations, we felt a pause on events with alcohol would serve as a period to reflect, engage and assess our policies," the release states. 

Members of Central Michigan University's Sigma Alpha Epsilon chapter declined to comment for this story.