Division III No. 2 CMU hockey dominates Davenport, 18-0

The Central Michigan Division III men's hockey team shakes hands after a goal against University of Michigan-Flint Friday night at the Isabella County Ice Arena in Mount Pleasant. 

Another game, another dominant win for the Division III Central Michigan hockey team.

This time, the No. 3 Chippewas notched their 10th straight win against the Panthers of Davenport University Friday night, 18-0.

CMU sits at 20-4 on the season (9-4 in Michigan Collegiate Hockey Conference) and Davenport falls to 2-11 (1-10 in MCHC)

CMU started the game with an abundance of energy, something head coach James Cadzow has been preaching to the team since the beginning of the season.

The first period started with the CMU putting five pucks in the net and two firsts of the season as freshman forwards Jackson Jennette and Michael Croff secured their first collegiate hockey goals. Jennette scored in the first 20 seconds and Croff scored with 11:56 left in the first. 

“It was really cool for Jennette and Croff to score,” said junior forward Dalton Sutherland. “I even told Jennette he was going to score in this game and I wished them both congrats.”

They’d be followed by senior forwards Jason Pischke and Ryan Tyrer. Pischke would score two of his hat trick of the game with nine minutes left and 3:16 left and Tyrer with his first of two goals at just over four minutes left.

CMU would close out the first up 5-0 against the Panthers and wouldn’t stop the momentum in the next period, scoring six more times.

Freshman Forward Joey Simoncelli would grab his two goals of the game at the 13:12 mark and 9:09 mark. Dalton Sutherland would also grab his two goals of the game with 10:47 and 5:57 left to go.

Sophomore forward Shane Agnello and senior forward Nick Wink scored the last two goals of the period, as Agnello would grab his first of two with 3:58 left and Wink at the 17:37 mark. CMU would head to the locker room up 11-0 on Davenport.

Pischke finished with a hat trick. 

As the third period came around, the Chippewas did two things: score another six goals to finish with their second highest scoring output of the season and keep Davenport from scoring, holding them to only six shots on the game.

The Chippewas shot 18-69 on the game, which was the only problem Cadzow had with his team.

“Other than that, I thought we played good hockey,” Cadzow said. “Communication was sound, our passing was sound, we did a great job moving the puck (and) we fought. It should’ve been a lot worse (for Davenport).”

Sutherland thinks of CMU can’t get complacent with their play and has to do this every game.

“We have to keep doing the little things right if we want to keep winning,” Sutherland said. “(And) we can’t get too comfortable with it. That’s when you lose.”

As far as the game tonight, Cadzow will use it as a game to get other players some ice time.

“Hopefully it will be productive,” Cadzow said. “And we’ll walk away into break with a solid win streak and continue the level of play into the new year.”

CMU will play their last game of 2017 when they take on Davenport for the second time this weekend at 8 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 9, at the Isabella County Ice Arena.