No. 2 CMU D3 Hockey skates past Davenport in final game before winter break, 17-1

The Central Michigan Division III men's hockey team battles for puck with University of Michigan-Flint Friday night at the Isabella County Ice Arena in Mount Pleasant. 

Yet another win is added to Division III No. 2 Central Michigan men’s hockey teams record, as the Chippewas topped Davenport University in their second and final game against them this weekend, 17-1.

This is win number 21 for CMU (21-4, 10-4 in Michigan Collegiate Hockey Association) who are now on an 11-game winning streak and will end 2017 as second in the American Collegiate Hockey Association North Division.

The Panthers of Davenport drop to 2-12 on their season and 1-11 in the MCHC.

Even with the massive differences in scoring, head coach James Cadzow is not happy with a lot of the effort put forth by his players after the win.

“I thought I would see a lot more from them,” Cadzow said about the way his team played. “It was frustrating. We weren’t disciplined and the guys were doing their own thing out there weren’t being disciplined and mature.”

The players on the team who show they want to compete will get ice time according to Cadzow.

“I’m going to play the guys who want to play within our structure and our system. Hopefully this is a wakeup call for the guys moving forward because if they don’t wake up, they’re not going to be playing.”

Although the effort wasn’t there fully, it was enough for CMU to grab its third highest scoring performance of the season with 10 different Chippewas scoring against the Panthers.

CMU scored five times in the first.

The goals came from senior forward Jason Pischke at the 4:35 mark and 9:31, graduate forward Nathan Allgaier at the 7:11 mark, sophomore defensemen Brennan Martin at the 15:30 mark and junior forward Dalton Sutherland with just under two minutes left.

In the second period, the scoring output was notched one more as the Chippewas put six biscuits in the basket to make it 11-0.

The goals came from Sutherland with less than two minutes into the period and 3:53 left, Pischke with just under eight minutes to go and then a barrage of three Chippewas scores goals to close out the second.

Those came from senior forward Ryan Tyrer with 3:01 left, senior forward Nick Wink with 2:45 left and sophomore forward Garrett Diola with 1:53 left.

And the third was the same story, as six more goals were added by CMU to get its total for the game. 

Goals came from Sutherland at 16:16, freshman forward Gabriel Smith at 11:32, Allgaier at 8:10 and 22 seconds left and freshman forward Alex Osbourne with 1:44 left in the game. 

Davenport would stop the shutout as well when forward Tyler Hayboer would score his ninth goal of the season just over five minutes to go.

With the win in the bag, the team will continue to improve and those that want to play will play.

“With the games where you win and you dominate, there will always be areas to improve,” Cadzow said. “With the second half of the season approaching, rolling into the end of the year, conference tournament, hopefully nationals, we’ll be better for having played this game, we’ll stay focused on what’s ahead and the guys who want to play will play, the guys who don’t, won’t.”