SGA passes legislation supporting free menstrual products on campus, receives mixed response

sga
Senator Lyndi Rose votes on an amendment to her legislation on Nov. 27 in the Bovee University Center Mackinaw Room.

Student Government Association senator Lyndi Rose was inspired by a Twitter post to craft SGA’s only piece of legislation for the fall 2017 semester.

"We pay $20,000 (in tuition) a year, roughly, and not (enough) of that goes toward women's products," Rose said. 

The bill, which proposes to have free menstrual products in every bathroom on campus was passed unanimously in the senate and 94-3 in the house during the Dec. 4 meeting.

Giana Korth, co-founder of Tampon Tribe, an organic tampon company based in California, learned of Rose's initiative after reading an article on Central Michigan Life website. 

Korth passed similar legislation during her time at Georgetown University and has continued supporting the cause. Korth has offered to help provide dispensers for the products, Rose said.

"She wants to partner with us to help us and give us a good deal (to) help the university pay for this," Rose said. 

Responses were mixed on a Central Michigan Life Facebook post that reported the legislation's passing and users bantered back and forth.

When it comes to student opinion — responses appear supportive of the legislation. 

Ortonville sophomore Kyle Jennings considers it a great idea. 

"Those things should be available to all people," Jennings said. "I don't think you should have to pay for something you need."

Freeland sophomore Kara Dobulis said she had never considered the idea of menstrual products becoming free on campus, but said she supports the proposition.

"(People who menstruate) deal with this a week every month so I think it would be awesome," she said. 

When it comes to the cost of menstrual products, Detroit sophomore Tierra Wright addressed the positive impact the legislation could have on students. 

"I was going to resort to buying a menstrual cup because of the expenses of buying hygiene products," she said. 

Wright feels the passing of this legislation could help her with that cost. 

While the legislation passed, it still must be considered by the Academic Senate.