Men’s basketball aims to break even in MAC play against EMU

mens-basketball-vs-lawrence-tech021

Sophomore guard David DiLeo is helped up by teammates after chasing a loose ball on Dec. 29 at McGuirk Arena.

Throughout the first two games of Mid-American Conference play, the Eastern Michigan Eagles are 0-2, but could easily be 2-0. 

On the other hand, the Central Michigan men’s basketball team sports a 1-1 record in conference action. 

The Chippewas (12-3, 1-1 MAC) and Eagles (9-6, 0-2) will square off at 7 p.m. on Jan. 9 at the Convocation Center in Ypsilanti, Michigan. 

“It’s a game you wish you had a couple more days of preparation,” CMU head coach Keno Davis said. “We haven’t had a lot of success in the last couple of years against them. We haven’t been able to make shots or finish inside (against EMU). We feel like we have a better ball club.”

CMU is led by a three-headed monster of senior forward Cecil Williams, sophomore forward David DiLeo and junior guard Shawn Roundtree. In CMU’s most recent loss, an 85-69 falling to Kent State, the trio only managed to score 17 points. 

“In our entire starting lineup, nobody shot 50 percent,” Davis said after CMU’s loss to Kent State. “That’s not exactly the recipe for success to have a lot of guys with off nights. I think the bright spot is we had very few guys play well and with six, seven minutes left it was still a game.” 

On the season, Williams averages 14.4 points, 6.7 rebounds and 3.1 assists. DiLeo tosses in an average of 14.2 points and 7.3 rebounds per outing. Roundtree has consistently found the bottom of the net, logging 13.9 points per game, and dishing out a team-high 3.9 assist per game. 

Senior forward Luke Meyer, who has started every game in his CMU career, poses an opportunity for a double-double night in and night out. The 6-foot-11, 224-pound big man averages 8.8 points and 5.7 rebounds per game. 

With a loss to Kent State, CMU is expected to drop out of the College Insider Men’s Mid-Major Top 25 once the new list is released. The Chippewas are currently ranked No. 22. 

Scouting Report

The Eagles have dropped games to Indiana, North Florida, Oakland, Syracuse, Ball State and Bowling Green this season. EMU’s two MAC games, against Ball State and Bowling Green, were close to the finish. 

Junior forward James Thompson IV is the go-to player for the Eagles, averaging 15.7 points and 11.7 rebounds per game. His best performance was a 24 point, 12 rebound game in a 95-89 win over Oakland. 

“(EMU) has one of the best players in this league in James Thompson IV,” Davis said. “We have to be able to match his production.” 

Along with Thompson IV, junior forward Elijah Minnie and junior guard Paul Jackson are stars for the Eagles. Minnie leads the team, averaging 17.0 points per game, while pulling down 6.2 boards per contest. Jackson chips in an average of 16.3 points and 4.7 assists. 

The fourth and final Eagle to score in double figures is senior guard Tim Bond. He averages 10.0 points, 3.8 rebounds and 2.9 assists per outing. 

In the NCAA Division I RPI, EMU is ranked No. 219 of 351 programs. CMU holds the No. 96 position. The highest rated team in the MAC is Buffalo at No. 29. 

Last Matchup

Last season, Eastern Michigan defeated the Chippewas twice. The first game was an 85-63 win and the second was a 109-81 victory. EMU’s two wins against CMU in the 2016-17 season helped propel them to capture the Michigan MAC Trophy. 

In the all-time series between the two squads, CMU owns a 97-92 lead over the Eagles. In Davis’ time as the head coach in Mount Pleasant, the Chippewas are 3-8 against EMU.