University to host local experts in Central Talk series, starting Jan. 22

19293_logot

Central Michigan University will host its own version of the popular "TED Talk" online series to celebrate the university's 125th anniversary, with the first event taking place Jan. 22.

"Central Talks" are aimed to educate both CMU students and Mount Pleasant residents by promoting discussions about how the university can help boost local economy and entrepreneurial opportunities, said Marcie Otteman, executive director of Alumni Relations and Development Strategies. 

"As part of the anniversary celebration, we were talking about ways we could help connect the CMU community to the Mount Pleasant community," Otteman said.

Michelle Sponseller, downtown development director for the City of Mount Pleasant, recommended the series after observing that the University of Michigan had hosted something similar, Otteman said.

The first event, on Jan. 22, will feature Hoyle and Marcy Mathews from the refrigeration equipment manufacturer Delfield as the speakers. The two will discuss how local organizations can partner with CMU to address challenges and concerns regarding business. 

The event will begin with refreshments at 5 p.m., with the presentation beginning at 5:30 p.m. at the CMU Research Corporation headquarters located at 2625 Denison Drive. The other events will stick to the same time schedule, though locations for the individual events will vary.

Other speakers will include: 

• Feb. 12: Teacher education faculty member Jennifer Weible will host "A Look Back: Higher Education and the Impact on Local Communities"  at the Mount Pleasant Discovery Museum at 5093 E. Remus Road.
  • Feb. 26: Biology chair  Tracy Galarowicz will host "The Chippewa River: Connecting the Community and CMU" at Camille's on the River at 506 W. Broadway St. 
  • March 12:  Lisa Hadden, executive director of the Mid Central Area Health Education Center will host  "Connecting Our Community Youth with Health Careers in Central Michigan" at Camille's on the River.
  • March 19: Pathology professor Jyotsna Pandey will host "Healthy Aging and Aging in Place: A CMU Perspective" at Camille's on the River.
  • April 4: Philosophy faculty member Hope May will host "To Think in World Terms: The Moral Vision of E.C. Warriner" at thte Mount Pleasant City Hall Commission Chambers at 320 W. Broadway St. 
  • April 16: Music faculty members Latoya Lain and Lindabeth Binkley will host "Love Songs," a collection songs based on Native American words and traditions, at Art Reach of Mid Michigan at 111 E. Broadway St.