Redshirt sophomore guard Redman works for increased role in future

corey-redman
Central Michigan redshirt sophomore guard Corey Redman poses for a portrait before practice on Feb. 15 at McGuirk Arena.

In the 2017-18 season for the Central Michigan men’s basketball team, redshirt sophomore guard Corey Redman has averaged just 3.5 minutes per game in 26 of CMU’s 27 contests. 

The 6-foot-6, 192-pound member of the backcourt has tossed in 11 points, 11 rebounds, two assists and five steals, but still plays a colossal role on the team. 

“I just try to come in and make an impact in any way I can,” Redman said. “It’s also nice to give the other guys a rest for a little bit. If I can come in and get a couple rebounds, play well on defense and knock down a shot, I’m okay with that.”

Prior to CMU's 72-67 loss on Feb. 17 to Eastern Michigan, Redman last scored on Dec. 16. The most minutes Redman played in a game was in a 91-73 win over Lawrence Tech, in which the guard was on the hardwood for 10 minutes. 

“He gives us depth to our team,” Davis said. “He’s someone we have confidence in. He is right on the edge of playing a bigger role. We know that he could go from a couple of minutes to a much bigger role.

“We have faith in Corey to be in the game and add something to our team.” 

Last season, Redman took a redshirt to ensure an extra year of eligibility. In 2015-16, his true freshman season, the guard from Boyne City High School in Michigan registered 47 points, 28 rebounds, two assists, one block and two steals in 5.3 minutes per game. 

“My game has definitely been improving,” Redman said. “In a year or two, I will have a big role here. I want to win a MAC championship and be able to contribute a lot to the team.”

Redman, during his high school days, committed to CMU in the summer of 2012, which was right before his sophomore year. He held a 3.66 grade-point average at Boyne City. 

The redshirt sophomore logged 12.5 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists per game while shooting 46 percent from 3-point range in his senior season. 

“He’s a guy that has worked really hard on his shot,” Davis said. “We can put him in at an off-guard position to a power forward position. He has a very high basketball IQ, so that gives us an opportunity to put him in at different spots.” 

Redman said he is always in the gym putting in extra work on his shot. He is currently on the scout team, so he emulates other teams in order to push his teammates to be ready for an upcoming opponent. 

“We want to see guys come in and improve,” Davis said. “He’s accepted his role and wants a bigger role, but is working toward that. A lot of times, things will take care of themselves and he will become a big factor to our program.”

As a leader for CMU, junior guard Shawn Roundtree Jr. recognizes Redman’s ability in spite of a low amount of playing time. 

“We look for him to provide energy,” Roundtree Jr. said. “He’s a shooter, so we expect him to knock down shots. He has a great attitude and is an amazing part of the team.” 

Down the road, Redman said he will continue to work hard for an increased role, which could come sooner than later.