Junior guard Peppers ‘questionable’ for Saturday’s game against EMU

gavin-peppers-vs-miami-ohio
Central Michigan junior guard Gavin Peppers warms up prior to playing against Miami (Ohio) on Jan. 23 at McGuirk Arena.

Just nine days ago, junior guard Gavin Peppers hobbled into McGuirk Arena with a boot on his right leg.

Peppers was hobbling with a boot on his foot due to a right leg injury, which occurred against Ohio on Feb. 3.

“It didn’t seem like that bad of a fall,” Peppers said. “I came down with a rebound and landed on my right heel and that’s when I injured it.” 

On Feb. 15, Peppers was given his first action in practice since injury and head coach Keno Davis called him “questionable” for CMU’s Feb. 17 matchup against Eastern Michigan at McGuirk Arena. 

“Gavin has not practiced with us since the injury until today, so this will give us a feel for if he would be able to play on Saturday,” Davis said. “If he’s healthy, he will be on the court. If he’s not, then we aren’t going to push someone who isn’t ready to go medically.

“As much as we would like him out there Saturday, we are more concerned with be a healthy team over the next few weeks.” 

Central Michigan junior guard Gavin Peppers practices without a boot on his right foot for the first time on Feb. 15 at McGuirk Arena.

Peppers said he “should be a full go” against the Eagles. 

“I’m expecting to play Saturday,” Peppers said. “I feel like I am 100 percent, but I haven’t been to practice, so this will be the real judgement of everything.” 

This season, the 6-foot-2, 194-pound guard averages 6.1 points, 1.4 rebounds and 1.5 assists for the Chippewas in 15.8 minutes per game. Peppers’ season-high 14 points came in a Dec. 16 loss to Southern Utah.

Prior to the injury, Peppers took part in all of the first 23 games. In the 2016-17 season for Cleveland State, the guard was forced out for the season with a torn Achilies tendon. 

“Once I found out it was only going to be two weeks, I was so happy,” Peppers said. “I’m just ready to get back. Two weeks felt long, but it was nothing like last year.” 

Central Michigan junior guard Gavin Peppers sits on the bench due to an injury prior to CMU's game against Buffalo on Feb. 6 at McGuirk Arena.

Davis hopes to get his transfer role player back on the court, but realizes it is out of his hands. 

“A lot of it isn’t a coach decision,” Davis said. “It’s a medical and training decision to see where he’s at. Once he’s able to go full court in practice, he will be ready to go in the game.” 

CMU has not had many injuries this season, as the only other Chippewas to face injuries this season were freshman guard Matt Beachler and sophomore guard Kevin McKay, who both missed a short amount of time at the beginning of the season.