Championship ambition: Women's, men's basketball seek success in MAC Tournament

Senior forward Tinara Moore (2) and junior forward Reyna Frost (13) go for a defensive block against the University of Buffalo on Feb. 14 at Alumni Arena.

Behind Presley Hudson's 31-point game in Kalamazoo on Feb. 24, Central Michigan women's basketball clinched the Mid-American Conference West Division regular season championship for the third straight season. 

The Chippewas aren't done competing. 

With the 2017-18 season coming to a close, the Central Michigan women's and men's basketball teams are focusing on the 2018 MAC Tournament. 

Each of the 12 MAC teams qualifies for the tournament. The top four seeds earn first round byes to the quarterfinals at Quicken Loans Arena. The bottom eight seeds must play a first round campus site game to get to Cleveland, Ohio. 

Women’s basketball

Projected seeds/opponents

As for now, CMU, led by head coach Sue Guevara, owns sole possession of the No. 1 seed in the Mid-American Conference Tournament — earning the Chippewas a first-round bye to Quicken Loans Arena. 

Buffalo is projected to acquire the No. 2 seed with a 14-2 conference record, while Ball State follows with the No. 3 ranking. Miami (Ohio) currently owns the No. 4 seed, as Ohio follows in fifth place with a 9-7 record.

The bottom of the tournament will most likely consist of Bowling Green and Akron. The pair of teams are 2-14 against opponents in the MAC. 

In the 2017-18 season, CMU is 23-4 overall and 15-1 in MAC action.

“We still have a lot to work on,” Guevara said. “We are always going to try and chase perfection. We’re the ones being chased (in the conference).” 

2017 Tournament results

In the 2016-17 season, CMU entered the postseason with the No. 1 seed. The Chippewas earned a first round bye but was upset by eighth-seeded Western Michigan, 67-63, in the quarterfinals. 

“We’re all frustrated,” Guevara said following last season’s postseason loss. “We don’t get to play in the championship game and that’s been the focus all year.” 

Junior forward Reyna Frost led the Chippewas in the 2017 MAC Tournament with 18 points and 17 rebounds, despite the loss. She will be returning to the MAC Tournament with CMU this season.  

Top players

The MAC is led by Northern Illinois junior forward Courtney Woods. The 6-foot-0 native of Australia averages 21.7 points, 8.1 rebounds and 3.1 assists for the Huskies. She is third in the MAC in free throw percentage, converting on 84.6 percent of attempts. 

CMU has two of the top five scoring players in the league in Hudson and senior forward Tinara Moore. 

Hudson averages 18.4 points and 5.3 assists. The 5-foot-6 sharpshooter makes a league-high 3.9 3-pointers per game for a 44 percent clip. 

Moore averages 19.3 points and 9.4 rebounds for the Chippewas. Meanwhile, Frost leads the MAC with 12 rebounds per game.

Winning chances

The Chippewas are the front-runners in the 2018 MAC Tournament due to a high-intensity defense and the ability to score the ball with ease on the offensive end. CMU's particular concern might be on the bench. 

CMU freshman guard Maddy Watters and freshman forward Kyra Bussell are the only bench players to play for more than 10 minutes per game. Bussell leads the bench with 2.7 points per contest.

The projected No. 2 seed, Buffalo, used CMU’s lack of depth to its advantage in an 85-82 home win over the Chippewas. 

“It was a really hard-fought game,” Guevara said after losing to the Bulls. “There were some key moments where we lost our composure a little bit and they took advantage of it.” 

Hudson played a team-high 40 minutes in the Buffalo loss. Frost and Moore played 38 minutes each. Senior guard Cassie Breen and redshirt freshman guard Micaela Kelly, the other two starters, played 34 minutes each. 

As for now, CMU is the team to beat as the No. 1 MAC team. 

Men’s basketball

Projected seeds/opponents

The top three tournament seeds are practically set with Buffalo, Toledo and Ball State, but Eastern Michigan and Western Michigan are tied for the final bye to Quicken Loans Arena. The Eagles and Broncos, both 9-7 in MAC play, will face off Feb. 27 at University Arena in Kalamazoo to try to snap the tie. 

For fifth place, Miami (Ohio) and Kent State are tied with an 8-8 MAC record. Either of those two teams could jump both EMU and WMU for an early spot at Quicken Loans. 

CMU is tied for last in the MAC West Division at 5-11 with Akron, Ohio and Northern Illinois. Due to overall record as a tiebreaker for three or more tied teams, the Chippewas currently have the No. 9 seed in the tournament. 

With the No. 9 seed, the Chippewas would be set up for a date against against No. 8 Bowling Green. The winner advances play the No. 1 seed at Quicken Loans Arena. 

“We aren’t that far away from being where we want to be,” head coach Keno Davis said. “We can beat anyone on any given night. For us, we are right there. The effort is what we need to continue to see.”

CMU defeated Bowling Green, 84-75, on Jan. 20 at the Stroh Center in Ohio, which is where the playoff game would be played.  

In the 2017-18 season, Davis’ team is 0-3 against EMU and WMU, losing twice on the road and once at home. 

“For us, it’s not about winning close games, it’s about making improvements (before the tournament),” Davis said.

2017 Tournament results

In the 2016-17 season, CMU entered the MAC Tournament as the No. 11 seed. The Chippewas, with a 6-12 conference record, lost in the opener in overtime to future champion No. 6 Kent State, 116-106. 

“This year, they know how important home court advantage is,” Davis said. “In last year’s game against Kent State, we had a couple of opportunities in the last seconds to win and Kent State went on to play in the NCAA Tournament.” 

Top players

Western Michigan senior guard Thomas Wilder, a 2018 NBA Draft prospect, is arguably the most noted player in the conference this season, averaging 19 points, 4.4 rebounds and 4.4 assists per game. 

“I’ll be happy he’s gone after this year,” Davis said regarding Wilder's performance against CMU. “It’s amazing what one player can do for a team and a program.” 

Davis’ team is led by a sophomore sixth-man Kevin McKay, who averages 11.6 points, 6.7 rebounds, 1.9 assists and 1.8 steals. McKay is CMU's most consistent player, even though he plays just 26.7 minutes per game. 

Chance to win

The Chippewas have continued to come up “one shot, one rebound or one play” away in just about each game this season, Davis said. 

CMU has won only two close MAC games. 

The Chippewas do not have good chances to win four straight games against the best in the conference. The lowest seed to win the MAC Tournament in the last 38 years was Ohio, a ninth-seed, in 2010.

Buffalo is the favorite coming in as the No. 1 seed, but Toledo could take that spot if the Bulls fall in one of their last regular season games.