SGA senators present projects for Spring 2018 semester

senators

Senators prepare to present their senate projects to house members on Feb. 12 in the Bovee University Center Auditorium.

Student Government Association senate projects for the Spring 2018 semester range from legislation supporting a polling location on campus to a nonprofit art show benefiting a high school art program.

SGA senators joined house members on Feb. 12 in the Bovee University Center Auditorium to present the projects each senator would focus on for this semester. 

Sen. Aubry Healy is working toward transparency from Provost Michael Gealt for transfer students. A transfer student herself, Healy said the process is confusing.

"What day to register (and) what time is what I want to get out to students," she said. "Because right now it's not and you just have to find it yourself."

Senate Pro Tempore Jake Hendricks is working on legislation supporting the creation of a polling place on Central Michigan University's campus hoping it would help push students to vote. 

Similar legislation was presented at SGA in 2012 during Macomb alumnus Justin Gawronski's presidency. It was never implemented.

Sens. Morgan Clark and Brianna McCrary are working to push administration toward allotting time during the fall semester for a fall break. 

"The calendars would align more between the two semesters," Clark said. "We have spring break, why don't we have fall break?" 

Clark added the importance of mental health, saying the break would help students avoid getting too stressed by finals week.

Sen. Pravallika Chirumamilla proposed an art walk on campus, similar to ArtPrize that takes place in Grand Rapids. 

"The theme is diversity in adversity," Chirumamilla said. "You can vote for your favorite piece by donating money and the student with the most donations gets to pick which high school art program they would like to donate all the money to." 

President Anna Owens explained how the legislation regarding an on-campus food pantry and revisions to CMU's amnesty bereavement policy will be developed. Owens said the on-campus food pantry legislation will require another student survey and revision by a separate committee at CMU.

"With the bereavement policy," Owens said, "the next step is to take it to the administrator who deals with that policy on campus, (Associate Vice President for Student Affairs) Tony Voisin." 

Owens said legislation will soon be addressed that proposes the reduction of required graduation credits from 124 to 120. The legislation will also be addressed in Academic Senate, though dates for the presentation have not been set.

Owens will be presenting to the Board of Trustees on Feb. 14 on behalf of SGA.