Botox, cosmetic services now provided at CMED health care clinic to help boost revenue

In an effort to increase revenue, Central Michigan University Health is offering Botox and cosmetic services.

Melissa White, a physician assistant, is offering Botox, fillers, permanent makeup, nova threads, PRP (platelet-rich-plasma) and other cosmetic services at CMU Health in Mount Pleasant — part of the College of Medicine.

The services are offered at the CMU Health Primary & Specialty Services clinic.

White has been at CMU for the last two years and has been a practicing physician assistant (PA-C) for the past 28 years. She practiced downstate in dermatology and as an OB/GYN for 11 years. White has been providing cosmetic services for the past 20 years — dating back to the 1990s. 

She recently suggested that CMU Health offer cosmetic services to the community as a way to increase revenue, since very few professionals in the area currently offer these services. People who seek out cosmetic services must travel from Mount Pleasant to Detroit, Ann Arbor, Traverse City or other places in the state to receive services. 

Services began in January 2018.

“(Cosmetic surgery) is becoming mainstream,” White said. “Ten years ago, Botox was not really a household word, but it certainly is now.” 

Some of the services offered include: 

• Botox: Treatment for wrinkles caused by muscle movement. 

• Dermal Fillers: Used to fill in deeper wrinkles and scars, or enhances lips, cheeks etc. 

• Platelet Rich Plasma: Injection that helps scarring and keloids. PRP is used to improve tone and texture to the skin. It can also be used to promote hair regrowth.

• Permanent Makeup: Used to mimic eyebrow hairs, eyeliner and lipliner. 

White also provides areola tattooing for breast cancer patients. 

CMU Health offers these new cosmetic services one Friday a month. If demand for the new services increases, it will consider accepting appointments for multiple days monthly. 

Those interested in learning more about the cosmetic services offered or wish to schedule a consultation with White can contact CMU Health at (989) 774-7585.