Three-star recruit Pearson set to be fourth quarterback on 2018 roster

dsc-0006
CMU head football coach John Bonamego discusses the 2018 recruiting class with the media during a press conference on Feb. 7 at McGuirk Arena's Media Room.

When it comes to a recruiting class, Central Michigan football head coach John Bonamego believes the quarterback position stands out.

“Most schools like ourselves are only going to take one (quarterback) per class,” Bonamego said. “It’s always different with each season, but it’s really fun to see how the process of getting a quarterback layers out.”

This season’s recruit is three-star pro-style quarterback George Pearson from Middleton Mater Dei in New Jersey.

Pearson, a 6-foot-1, 210-pounder, had offers to play at Boston College, Purdue and Temple. He has started every game as a varsity quarterback since his freshman year of high school and won two state titles.

“He’s got natural arm talent and can run and it’s really exciting to find a combination like that,” Bonamego said. “He’s a very personable kid and his family is great. I think George has a very bright future here.”

Pearson signed early during the new early signing period from Dec. 20-22, and said Bonamego’s new contract extension played a big role in his decision.

“I picked Central Michigan because Bonamego and (assistant) coach (Chris) Ostrowsky gave me the best opportunity to play as a young guy coming in,” Pearson said. 

Bonamego said this is the first time since he’s been at CMU that he will have four quarterbacks on the same roster. Pearson will most likely redshirt in his first season with the Chippewas, he said.

“He’s going to be a normal freshman (quarterback),” Bonamego said. “At that position, guys need time and you want them to have an opportunity to grow and develop. It is very important that we have depth there.”

The Chippewas will be replacing former quarterback Shane Morris, who started all 13 games in the 2017 season.

Morris, who played just one season with CMU after transferring from the University of Michigan, set career-highs in every statistical category. He threw for 3,237 yards with a 55.8 completion percentage, while adding 27 touchdowns and 17 interceptions.

Redshirt sophomore quarterback Tony Poljan, who saw spurts of playing time last season, played in all 13 games as a quarterback and wide receiver. The 6-foot-7, 237-pound athlete went 13-of-21 for 78 yards while catching five passes for 97 yards.

To see highlights of Pearson in high school and more about his recruitment trail, follow this link to his 247Sports page.