Women's basketball suffers first MAC loss at Buffalo

Senior forward Tinara Moore looks to grab a rebound for the Chippewa's on Feb. 14 at Alumni Arena.

Central Michigan women’s basketball was on the wrong side of an instant classic in Buffalo. 

The Chippewas (20-4, 12-1) lost their first Mid-American Conference game of the season to Buffalo (20-4, 11-2 MAC) 85-82. 

CMU was outrebounded by the Bulls 39-36 and shot only 26 percent from 3-point range.  

“It was a really hard-fought game,” Guevara said. “There were some key moments where we lost our composure a little bit and they took advantage of it”

Buffalo got off to a hot shooting start, but Central Michigan stayed close and eventually tied the game at the end of the first quarter. Reyna Frost laid out for a loose ball passing it to Presley Hudson for a 3-pointer to tie the game at 21 with under a minute left in the quarter. 

Hudson hit another timely 3-pointer late in the second quarter to tie the game again at 44. She then assisted Tinara Moore’s layup before Frost beat the buzzer giving the Chippewas a 48-46 halftime lead. 

Hudson had 15 points at the half shooting 3 of 5 from beyond the 3-point arc. 

Frost grabbed an offensive rebound and laid up another buzzer beat to give Central Michigan a 62-60 at the end of the third quarter. 

Trailing by three points in the fourth quarter, Frost had her final opportunity to hit a buzzer beater. The junior caught the ball with three seconds left but missed a contested 3-pointer ending the game. 

Frost led all Chippewas with 23 points and 16 rebounds. Moore and Hudson each scored 16 points, while Micaela Kelly scored 11 and Cassie Breen scored 10. 

“Nothing changes,” Guevara said. “We’re still the ones being chased.”

CMU returns to action at 1 p.m. on Saturday at McGuirk Arena to host Eastern Michigan.