Women's basketball defeats Eastern Michigan in annual Play4Kay game

frost

Junior forward Reyna Frost grasps the ball during the Central Michigan University women's basketball game against Eastern Michigan University on Feb. 17 at McGuirk Arena.

Bouncing back from their first loss in over two months at Buffalo, the Central Michigan women's basketball team defeated Eastern Michigan 95-82 at McGuirk Arena. 

Following the Buffalo loss, head coach Sue Guevara began talking to her team about the toughness Buffalo showed — something she hoped her team would emulate going forward.

"We talked a lot about the toughness that Buffalo displayed that we need to do a better job of that and I thought that we did today," Guevara said.

CMU Improves to 21-4 overall and 13-1 in the Mid-American Conference with the win and Eastern Michigan falls to 10-15 overall and 6-8 in the conference.

Much of the crowd in McGuirk dressed in pink along with the team as $3,553 was raised for the Kay Yow cancer fund at the annual Play4Kay game.

"I think it's really special," said junior Reyna Frost. "Obviously most people know someone that is affected by cancer, so being able to support those people while they're out here supporting us is really nice."

Senior Tinara Moore recorded eight blocks in the game, just one shy of tying the single game program record she already holds. Moore, the team's leading scorer, picked up 26 points on the game along with eight rebounds. 

"I was just playing basketball," Moore said. "They were just penetrating in and I would just, sometimes, block it."

Adding to the solid CMU inside play was Reyna Frost, who recorded a double-double with 14 points an 20 rebounds.

"She's (Frost) always going to get a loose ball, she perseveres," Guevara said. "She goes after it and she gives us a lot of extra possessions."

Despite the effort on the offensive end, Guevara stressed that their defense needs serious work, specifically guarding the drive. 

"We had major college problems defending today," Guevara said. "Our defense has to be better defending penetration."

CMU will play the second of a short two game home stand at 6 p.m on February 21 against Northern Illinois (13-12, 5-9), a game Guevara hopes to see a lot of improvement in.

"Trust me, we'll be better on Wednesday when we play because Northern Illinois shoots the three and penetrates."