Former tight end Conklin shines at Pro Day, raises NFL Draft stock

rusco_fball-9

Senior tight-end Tyler Conklin poses for a portrait on Mar. 16 in the Indoor Athletic Center. 

In high school, Tyler Conklin never expected play in the National Football League.

The former Central Michigan tight end went to L’Anse Creuse High School-North in Macomb, Michigan and made his way to Northwood University as a basketball player. 

Then, the Chippewas stepped in and added him to their roster on the football team as a walk-on. Now, Conklin is coming off a performance in front of all 32 NFL teams at CMU's Pro Day and the NFL Combine.

“I think things went really well,” Conklin said March 16. “When I first walked on here, I went to Pro Day to watch. I didn’t know any players, coaches and had no clue how it went. It’s been a goal of mine since I started playing football."

Since the season ended for CMU, Conklin has not worried much about the words of NFL scouts. He said he will throw an NFL Draft Watch Party from April 26-28 for friends and family to enjoy the experience with him.

“I just try to work my butt off,” Conklin said. “I let the scouts do their jobs. I’m working to the best of my ability and will be here all March doing that. I’ll go home right after Easter and be home with my family before the NFL Draft.”

Conklin said he will never forget the NFL Draft Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium from Feb. 27 to March 5. In his career with CMU, Conklin earned 1,159 yards and 11 touchdowns on 83 receptions. 

“Growing up watching the Combine, it’s sweet,” Conklin said. “It’s a dream and to be able to make it happen is a surreal feeling. The coolest part was seeing all the other players going through the same thing as me.” 

On March 14, the Detroit Lions released tight end Eric Ebron. The Lions' other tight end, Darren Fells, signed a deal with the Cleveland Browns. Since the Lions released their former first round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, Conklin’s phone has been blowing up. 

“As soon as it happened, a lot of people were talking to me about it,” Conklin said. “It would be sweet. To play my hometown of Detroit would be awesome. They are a throwing offense and have a great quarterback. The coaching staff looks great, so it would be awesome.”

Playing in the Senior Bowl, along with participating in the NFL Draft Combine and CMU’s Pro Day, Conklin said his draft stock has been flying upward. 

“I’ve raised my stock,” Conklin said. “I showed everything a tight end does. I definitely helped my stock at the Senior Bowl and Combine. At Pro Day here, I wanted to show people my explosion to get in and out of routes and be fluid. We will see what happens.” 

Central Michigan head coach John Bonamego and tight end Tyler Conklin share a laugh at Turf Bay in the Indoor Athletic Complex at CMU's Pro Day on March 16.

CMU head coach John Bonamego has been able to give Conklin a ton of information regarding the NFL experience. 

Head coach John Bonamego has been on an NFL staff with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Green Bay Packers, New Orleans Saints, Miami Dolphins and Detroit Lions. He joined the Chippewas as the head coach on Feb. 9, 2015. 

“People put values on different players,” Bonamego said. “Whatever is going to happen is going to happen. Once this workout is done, (Conklin) may have a couple trips where people bring him in to do an interview. They want to know more about the character. 

"Beyond that, we will see what happens.” 

According to his NFL.com Draft Profile, Conklin is projected to be drafted in the fifth or sixth round.