CMU softball goes 1-2 in series against Akron

d-softball-vs-buffalo-photo-4-12-24-9
The Central Michigan softball team huddles together before an inning during a game against Buffalo, Friday, April 12, in Margo Jonker Stadium. (CM-Life | Jo Kenoshmeg)

After traveling to Akron, Ohio for a weekend series, the Central Michigan softball team went 1-2 against the Zips. 

After the series, the Chippewas are bumped down to fifth place holding a record of 14-28 overall and 11-9 in conference play.

Game 1

Akron broke the deadlock early in the bottom of the first inning. A throwing error from the Chippewa defense gave Akron the early lead and a run would further put them behind 2-0.

The following innings saw both teams battling it out, with CMU’s defense tightening up to prevent more runs from the Akron offense. Freshmen Grace Koenig and Emma Lotus showed promise with hits for the Chippewas, but Akron's defense held firm.

In the bottom of the third, Akron capitalized on an error, giving the Zips a run. Despite CMU’s efforts to generate runs, Akron's defense continued to shut the Chippewas down.

As the final innings played out, Akron maintained its lead, and CMU was unable to score. In the end, the Chippewas were unsuccessful, falling 4-0 to Akron.

Game 2

After losing its first game of the weekend series, Central Michigan battled it out with Akron in hopes of snagging game two. 

From the first pitch, both teams came out swinging, in hopes of gaining control of the game. Senior Abbey Tolmie led off with a walk, but Akron's defense quickly shut down their scoring opportunity. 

However, the Chippewas struck back in the fourth inning when senior Michaleigh Vallimont hit a homer, giving her team a 1-0 lead. CMU went on to score in the second and fourth inning moving its lead to three.

Akron responded in the bottom of the fifth inning and capitalized on Central Michigan's errors, taking the 4-3 lead. However, the Chippewas responded quickly in the top of the sixth.

Junior Maddie Springer's double drove in two runs to narrow the gap giving CMU the lead again. The fight continued as Akron hit a three-run homer to give them a 7-6 lead. 

Despite efforts in the seventh inning, the Zips defense held firm, holding their win, and ending the game with a final score of 7-6. 

Game 3

In the thrilling conclusion to the weekend series, Central Michigan was able to snagged a win in the last game. 

In the bottom of the 1st, Akron was able to dominate the Chippewa offense and lead 3-0 going into the second inning. No one was able to score in the second, however, a homer from Coberley sent Keira Tolmie home in the third.

After a scoreless fourth inning, CMU rallied in the top of the fifth and sixth innings, tying the score at four going into the seventh. 

After Coberley singled and moved to second on the throw, Abbey Tolmie was able to run home securing the late lead. 

With Akron unable to score in the bottom of the seventh, CMU walked away with a 5-4 win closing out the final game of the weekend series.

The Chippewas remain on the road, traveling to Kent State starting on Tuesday at 1 p.m.