IFC discusses upcoming philanthropy events, new fraternity coming to campus

19293_logot

The Central Michigan University Interfraternity Council discussed upcoming philanthropy events, a Greek oriented baseball game, a new fraternity joining campus and provided information on internships with Quicken Loans at its March 20 meeting.

Alpha Sigma Phi is hosting its annual Dogs for Dogs event from 5-9 p.m. March 23 at the fraternity's house on Main Street. Tickets to attend the event are $4 if bought from a member of the fraternity and $5 at the door. All profits will benefit the Mount Pleasant Humane Society.

Sigma Pi will continue its philanthropy week with a car wash on March 21. There is a $2 donation amount for the event and a car wash will cost attendees $3. Therapy dogs will also be there and the men of Sigma Pi will be washing the cars shirtless and in jean shorts regardless of weather conditions. Profits from the event will be donated to the Midland Humane Society.

Brian A. Hoffman, director of organizational growth for Zeta Beta Tau, discussed the new fraternity's ideals and presence next semester on campus. The new Greek organization was founded as the world's first Jewish fraternity and is an inclusive, non-pledging social organization. ZBT focuses on preventing sexual assault as well as anti-discrimination work.

"We are not coming in trying to rock the boat (or) change dynamics," Hoffman said. "Our goal is to come in and start at a place where you all are trying to get to."

Royal Oak graduate student Matt Rzepecki led the conversation on an upcoming Greek-oriented baseball game taking place at 2 p.m. April 14 at Theunissen Stadium hosted by CMU baseball. A pre-game fraternity cook-off will take place, where those who attend may vote on the best food. The winner of the contest will be able to throw the first pitch at the game.  

The CMU baseball team was picked second in the MAC and Rzepecki said support from the Greek community could help the team's confidence to win future games.

Quicken Loans representatives and CMU students Sam Woods and Austin Janice educated IFC members on summer internship opportunities that could lead to potential banking and technology careers. During their presentation, the representatives highlighted the multiple companies owned by Quicken Loans as well as the long term benefits of being an employee.

IFC meetings are held bi-weekly at 7 p.m. in Powers Hall room 200.