Men's basketball to play Wofford in the second round of the CIT

rusco_bball-12

Central Michigan mens basketball team huddle before the game against Buffalo on March 8 at Quicken Loans Arena. 

Following a first round win in the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament, Central Michigan men’s basketball will play a team that topped No. 10 North Carolina earlier this year. 

The Chippewas (20-14) head to Spartanburg, South Carolina to take on Wofford (21-12) at 7 p.m. March 16 in Richardson Indoor Stadium.

Against Fort Wayne, the Chippewas were led in scoring by sophomore forward David DiLeo, who finished with 22 points. Sophomore guard Kevin McKay added 20 points. It was their first postseason win in 15 years. 

"Our best basketball is still in front of us," said head coach Keno Davis. "I still want this season to continue as far as we can take it because this team deserves every opportunity.”

DiLeo made four of the Chippewas' 17 3-pointers in the game. He said the offense just flowed around the 3-pointer against the Mastodons.

"The way we were running our offense helped us find guys who were open (for 3-pointers)," DiLeo said. "I think we have the confidence that everyone on this team can hit shots and luckily they were able to fall today.”

Luke Meyer, who was given the Most Valuable Player award after the game, scored 18 points and recorded seven rebounds. Meyer also hit the game-winning 3-pointer with about a minute to play.

“This was my last chance to (win), because it’s lose and go home which definitely adds more pressure,” Meyer said. “I’m just happy that I have extended my college playing career to at least one more game.”

Scouting Wofford

The Terriers received a first round bye, meaning this will be their first postseason game. Wofford finished fourth in the Southern Conference regular season standings with a 11-7 record. In the league tournament, it fell to UNC Greensboro in the semifinal round.

Wofford earned a signature win this season when it defeated North Carolina, 79-75, on Dec. 20. The Tar Heels are currently a No. 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament.

Junior guard Fletcher Magee leads the Terriers' four double-figure scorers at 21.6 points per game. He is followed by junior forward Cameron Jackson (11.6), sophomore guard Trevor Stumpe (10.9) and sophomore guard Nathan Hoover (10.8).

Terriers’ head coach Mike Young is in his 16th season as head coach. He has compiled a 232-212 overall record and made the NCAA Tournament four times. 

This will be the first-ever meeting between CMU and Wofford.