Softball looks to end losing skid against Valparaiso at home

35532_softballf
Senior pitcher Hanna Warren pitches the ball during the Chippewas game against Northern Illinois University on April 22 at Margo Jonker Stadium.

After four straight losses, Central Michigan softball has a chance to break the losing streak against Valparaiso in the home opener at Margo Jonker Stadium.

The Chippewas (9-15, 0-3 Mid-American Conference) were beat by No. 17 Michigan midweek then swept in a three-game series against Ohio over the weekend. 

Now, they have a matchup with Valparaiso at 4 p.m. March 28. They will then welcome Miami (Ohio) for a three-game set this weekend starting at 3 p.m. March 30.

“We simply need to turn it around,” said head coach Margo Jonker. “We need all aspects of our game to improve and some key components to come through in crucial times (of games).”

Over the four game losing stretch, CMU was outscored by its opponents 22-9. Five of those runs game in one game.

Senior pitcher Hanna Warren (3-5) — who lost one of the four games and gave up three runs over that span — said the pitchers are still searching for their groove.

“We’ve had a rocky start to the (season) but we have to come together and use everyone's skills,” Warren said. “That’s the cool thing about this group. Everyone is different and unique with the pitches they throw, so once we get on track with those different weapons, we will be unstoppable.”

Following the weekend, CMU is fourth in the MAC in pitching. They hold a 3.43 earned run average over 157.1 innings. As for hitting, the Chippewas are fifth in the league with a .284 batting average.

“We are all trying to find some confidence right now, especially on the mound,” said freshman pitcher Cloe Mallory. “We’re close, but we will get there with some improvements.”

Scouting Miami and UV

The Crusaders are coming off a series against Missouri State in which they took 2-of-3 games but dropped the finale. They have lost six of their last eight games.

UV’s statistical leaders at the plate are a pair of upperclassmen — junior infielder Jaymee Lawton and redshirt senior outfielder Taylor Lawson. Lawton has a team leading .329 batting average and 27 RBIs with Lawson just behind her with a .325 batting average. 

Senior pitcher Kenzie Grossman (9-5) averages a 1.48 ERA and 58 strikeouts to only 15 walks.

As for the RedHawks, they opened MAC play by taking 2-of-3 games from Northern Illinois. Miami was outscored overall in the series 10-8, being shutout 8-0 in the middle contest.

Miami is ninth in the MAC in hitting with a .246 batting average and eighth in pitching with a 4.57 ERA.

Senior outfielder Megan Wurts leads the RedHawks hitting with a .378 batting average and 45 total bases. In the circle, it’s freshman Courtney Vierstra (9-6) who leads the pitching staff with a  2.19 ERA and ranks third in the MAC with 88 strikeouts.

Recent history

Last season against the Crusaders, CMU shutout UV in back-to-back games to sweep a two-game series. CMU outscored Valparaiso 14-0.

The Chippewas and RedHawks haven’t met since the 2014 season when CMU was swept in a two-game series in Oxford.