Alumnus' work part of Houston Chronicle's Pulitzer Prize finalist recognition

screen-shot-2017-09-06-at-8-52-05-pm

Courtesy Photo | Will Axford

Former Central Michigan Life reporter Will Axford, a journalist with Houston Chronicle, is part of a reporting team recognized as a finalist for a Pulitzer Prize for its coverage of Hurricane Harvey.

The Pulitzer website states the nomination was due to Houston Chronicle's "comprehensive and dynamic coverage of real-time developments" during the storm. The staff is also recognized for providing crucial information to the community before and after the storm occurred.

The Pulitzer Prize is an award given for outstanding achievements in journalism, literature and music. Thirteen of the awards are received every year. Houston Chronicle was nominated in the  "breaking news reporting" category. 

Axford said he specifically helped to watch breaking news alerts from police and those on social media during the storm. He was also responsible for keeping the Houston Chronicle's Twitter and Facebook feeds up to date.

Hurricane Harvey inflicted $125 billion in damages due to flooding in Houston last year. Harvey was also the wettest tropical cyclone on record in U.S. history.

Axford said he didn't know what to expect at first, but his journalistic skills kicked in rather fearing for his safety. Communicating with those closest to him was key in reducing worries about safety, he said.

"It was surreal to see our work mentioned with the New York Times, Washington Post and other hardworking newspapers across the county," Axford said. "I'm immensely proud of the work we did during Hurricane Harvey and the work we continue to do."

Axford has lived in Texas since 2016. He graduated from Central Michigan University in 2010. During his time at CMU, Axford worked for CM Life as a columnist and opinion editor.  

Although Axford loves working at the Houston Chronicle, he said he feels immense gratitude toward his professors and for his time spent at CM Life during his college years.

"A lot of what I learned at CM Life still applies to my job today," Axford said.  "Asking dogged questions, being fair and accurate, balancing ethical quandaries — these are all things I learned on the fourth floor of Moore Hall that I still use every day in my current role."