Ex-CMU infielder Zach McKinstry shines early for Great Lakes Loons

Great Lakes Loons third baseman Zach McKinstry throws a runner out during Opening Day against the Lansing Lugnuts on April 5.

In the 33rd round of the 2016 MLB Draft, the Los Angeles Dodgers selected Central Michigan infielder Zach McKinstry as the newest addition to the organization.

After being drafted, he spent partial time in Midland with the Great Lakes Loons in the 2016 and 2017 season. Now, McKinstry is back at Dow Diamond in 2018, just 27 miles from his former college in Mount Pleasant. 

"The good part is that I know my way around here, and I'm familiar with everything," McKinstry said. "And I have a lot of friends from around here and in Mount Pleasant. It's not hard for them to come see me play."

In his sophomore season in 2016 with the Chippewas, McKinstry led the team with a .325 batting average, 79 hits, a .415 on-base percentage, 243 at-bats, 12 stolen bases and 157 assists. Also, he had a team-high 24 multiple0hit games and reached base in 26-straight games. 

“He was a heck of a player, but he was a good leader and teammate,” said CMU head coach Steve Jaksa. “He did everything you asked him to do. He had a very specific goal and that was very important to him. After his first year in pro ball, I told him not to change that because he’s a pro. Some people like to slow you down, but you have to keep the high motor.”

The 6-foot-0, 180-pound third baseman has taken the field in 12 games for the Loons this year. He is hitting a team-high .387 with one double, one triple, one home run and four runs batted in. 

While maintaining a successful batting average, McKinstry has a keen eye, drawing 13 walks. 

“I really like it right now,” McKinstry said. “I feel like my swing is doing really well for me.  I’ve been working on a little power, trying to get in my lower half a little bit and freeing up my hands. Overall, it feels good and I’m seeing the ball really well.”

Jaksa said he often keeps in touch with McKinstry over the phone. Last season, he made it a top concern to see his former player in Midland. 

“I’ve always gone to watch him play when he’s here,” Jaksa said. “We will get to see him sometime, but the first priority is getting on the road to recruit. He’s a good man with a great family. We wish him nothing but the best.”

In 70 career games for Great Lakes, McKinstry has a .289 batting average with two home runs and 21 RBIs. He has also played for the Rookie-League Arizona League Dodgers, High-A Rancho Cucamonga Quakes, and Double-A Tulsa Drillers during his time in the Dodgers organization. 

For McKinstry to continue rising up the ranks and eventually finding himself in Dodger Blue, consistency at the plate will be a necessity. 

“I’m just going to keep playing every day,” McKinstry said. “It’s more of a steady thing for me in being consistent throughout the season, not just having one moment, falling into a rut, then having another good stint. It’s about staying consistent throughout the whole season.”