CMU sets goal of $100 million for capital campaign

19293_logot

Central Michigan University leaders launched the second capital campaign in school history — with $83 million raised of its $100 million goal — on April 21 in the John G. Kulhavi Events Center.

More than 300 students, faculty, staff, donors and alumni attended, according to a University Communications press release.

Vice President for Advancement Bob Martin said the “Fire Up for Excellence” campaign has set several records, including this highest number of donors in university history.

Martin said in an interview that the fundraising campaign began two years ago when he started as vice president of advancement in Feb. 2016.  He said the campaign is two years ahead of schedule and should be complete in just over one year.

The campaign chair is College of Business Administration alumnus Michael O’Donnell, who was inducted into the CBA Hall of Fame in 2015.

“Every CMU Chippewa deserves the chance to realize their potential.” O’Donnell said in the release. “Now is our time to share, to give back, and to provide current and future student swith the same opportunities we have had for a superior educational experience at CMU,” according to University Communications.

According to University Communications, a priority in the campaign is the Chippewa Champions Alumni Center. While the exact cost is unknown, head coach John Bonamego said on National Signing Day on Feb. 7 that the facility would be in the $30 million range. The building will be constructed on the north end of Kelly/Shorts Stadium.

Martin said 80-90 percent of the money raised in the campaign will be used for scholarships for students.

"We have a donor-centered approach," Martin said in an interview.  He said donors get to choose where they want their money to go.

The release stated other priorities for the campaign include funding recruitment, retention and professional development for faculty. Priorities also include supporting research, funding faculty endowments and updating learning laboratories.

“Our greatest asset is in our classrooms: our professors, researchers, innovators and leaders,” President George Ross said in the release. “Their teaching and mentorship leaves a lasting impression on our students, helping to ensure their success.”

Martin said private support is critical, as just 17 percent of CMU’s budget comes from state funding. In 2002, state funding covered 32 percent of the budget.

All of the money raised so far is from private donations, according to Martin.

Martin said the launch event was invite-only.  The guest list included alumni who had donated money in the past or who were considering donating money.

Those in attendance included Board of Trustees Chair William Weideman, Assistant Vice President for University Recreation Stan Shingles and football alumni Antonio Brown and Cooper Rush.

Student representatives for the New Venture Competition, Threads Fashion Show and the CMU Society of Automotive Engineers Baja team were also invited.

Student scholarship winners were invited to the launch to meet their scholarship donors, Martin said.  Students also met guests and inspired alumni to donate.

Martin said at the launch event alone, the campaign received donations from three people, which added up to $2.5 million.

Athletic Director Michael Alford wrote in his monthly “Fire Up Chat” on the CMU athletics website that he believed the Chippewa Champions Alumni Center would “be directly linked to the ambitious scope of the project.” Martin also mentioned the launch event in passing at the April 19 board of trustees meeting.

Ross said at his State of the University Address in September that the capital campaign would launch in April.