OCRIE representative speaks at IFC meeting about harassment

19293_logot

The Interfraternity Council had its first meeting since Greek Week April 10 to focus on the various forms of harassment students can encounter on campus.

Speakers during the meeting included men from Sigma Tau Gamma concerning their philanthropy and a representative from the Office and Civil Rights and Institutional Equity (OCRIE). 

Austin Davis, president of Sigma Tau Gamma led the discussion on the fraternity's philanthropy, Sightsavers. Their powerpoint elaborated on the visual impairments caused by Trachoma and River Blindness.

Those interested in helping are advised to attend Sig Taucos on April 19 from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. at the fraternity's house on 105 N. Main St. Tickets are $5 at the door. 

Mary Martinez, the assistant director of OCRIE, provided a powerpoint and lecture including a video of sexual harassment in the workplace.

Martinez highlighted how alcohol can impact a person's ability to give consent, how hostile environments can be created, while also explaining the various types of discrimination spanning from age to sexual orientation.

Phi Sigma Phi will be hosting a golf outing on April 22. The cost will be $55 per head, and teams will compete in fours.

Sigma Alpha Epsilon will also be hosting their third annual 5k color run. Tickets will be $10 in advance and $15 at the event on April 22.