Special Olympics athlete finds confidence, joy through 50 years of summer games

Special Olympics Michigan athlete Richard Hess, photo provided by his family.

When Special Olympic athlete Richard Hess was diagnosed with autism in 1965, his family was concerned his condition would limit his opportunities and what he would be able to achieve in his lifetime. 

Today, they happily admit they couldn't have been more wrong. 

At the 2018 Special Olympics Michigan Summer Games, Hess is going to be honored as a grand marshal for his 50 years of participation in Special Olympics. 

"Central has always been a special place to our family because of the Special Olympics, so we're looking forward to going back," said Dave Hess, his father.

In his early childhood, Hess's parents began to realize that his education and behavior would require more time and attention than they were able to give him at home. However, at that time there few very few affordable facilities that emphasized growth and development.

After months of searching, the Hess family found Kambly Living Center in Battle Creek. When Hess first became a resident, it was a boarding school for mentally impaired children. It has grown into an adult foster care facility for people with developmental disabilities. 

"Kambly Living Center turned out to be the answer to our prayers for Richie at a price we could afford," Dave Hess, his father, said.

In addition to providing an education, Kambly helped Hess to work on behaviors he struggled with in his childhood, such as temper tantrums and being fearful. Eventually, he overcame both and grew to be a more confident person.

After living in Kambly for about a year, the center decided he was ready to visit his family. In 1968, the Hess family traveled to Chicago for the first Special Olympic Summer Games on July 20 at Soldier Field. Hess competed in the 50 yard dash and the long jump.

Hess loved competing in the Olympics so much that he and his family traveled to Akron, Ohio the following year, where he competed in the Great Lakes Regional Special Olympics at the Akron Rubber Bowl. Hess continued to compete in the summer games for many years at Central Michigan University.

In 1992, Hess once again competed in the summer games at CMU, and was honored by Special Olympics Michigan's partner, SpartanNash, for being a part of the Olympics for so many years. At the closing ceremonies, Hess gave a speech in front of thousands of athletes, which meant a great deal to his family.

"That's what really makes me proud," Dave Hess said. "When he was a child, he never really called me 'dad.' He had very limited communication and was very fearful. But there he was, getting in front of a crowd. It was amazing."

Today, the 59-year-old continues to live at Kambly Living Center. He also spends one week of the month visiting with his father and sister in Ionia. His father said that "Richie enjoys the facility so much" he often calls the staff when he is away to tell them about his visit. His father said he has become very well known in the Ionia community, and that he is "wonderful to be around."

Hess has many interests and hobbies outside of the Olympics, including learning about the weather and art. His beautifully-detailed paintings have been displayed in art showings in Ionia, and one of his paintings is going to be hung in Mary Free Bed Rehabilitation Hospital in Grand Rapids.