CMU spends $1.3 million on safety-oriented renovations

cmu-maroon-300

Central Michigan University has been installing locks on interior doors within regularly used facilities since 2016, said Associate Vice President of Facilities Management Jonathan Webb.

The project of designing and constructing new classroom and auditorium security features on campus has cost the university a total of $1.3 million, Webb said. The cost also includes upgrades to meet the Americans with Disabilities Act requirements, he added.

Facilities that already include locks on classrooms and auditoriums include Pearce, Grawn, the Biosciences building, Anspach, the Education and Human Services building, the Health Professions building, the building of Engineering and Technology, Moore and Powers Hall.

This summer, buildings undergoing renovations will include the classrooms and auditoriums within Finch, Rose, North Arts Studio, the Music building, Wightman, Sloan and Rowe Hall. 

Webb said the process of upgrading the locks in these buildings are underway and will be completed in August of 2018.

"The locking mechanism on regularly scheduled classrooms and auditoriums provide the ability to secure these rooms in the event of an emergency," Webb said. "The locks provide the opportunity for occupants to secure the rooms if they chose to hide out."

Other safety improvements on campus will include access controls to the residence halls. By August 2018, the installation of electronic access controls will be completed at the exterior entrance of all residence hall facilities.

"This is an enhancement to the existing key-lock system, to provide greater ability to control building access and enhance safety," Webb said.