Presidential search narrowed to five candidates

dsc-0209-2

Elizabeth Ross takes a photo of President George Ross receiving emeritus status from Board of Trustees chair William Weideman on June 28.

Five candidates are moving into the final phase of the search for the 15th president of Central Michigan University. 

Presidential Search Advisory Committee chair Tricia Keith updated the remainder of the board of trustees on the committee's progress during the board's June 28 meeting.

On June 5, the search advisory committee met and vetted more than 70 "quality" applications, Keith said.  Committee members, Keith said, were “pleased by the quality, range of experience and diversity" among the candidates.

Of those applications, the committee chose 11 applicants for in-person interviews. The committee then met for two "very in-depth days of interviews" with the candidates. Keith said the committee then chose five candidates who will be put forward to the board "in an unranked manner" for consideration.

The committee met with the trustees on June 27 for a "knowledge transfer meeting" to fully discuss the final five candidates and the search process as a whole.

"The ball is in the court of the board now," Keith said. "We will be meeting in the next few weeks on a number of issues to interview those candidates who were put forward."

Keith said that while it is far more important to ensure the right candidate is selected, the search is still on track to have a new president by August.

"It will be our hope as we interview to do all of the necessary things we need to do in due diligence with the candidates when thinking about fit and qualifications, in hopes that before the students come back, we can align around a selection and announcement," Keith said.

George Ross announced that he would step down on Jan.22. His final day is July 31.