'Unreal': Field hockey reacts to first win since 2016

img-2845-1

The Central Michigan field hockey team poses for a group photo after their first win of the season against Saint Louis in New York. (Courtesy Photo | Catherine Ostoich)

Captain and fifth-year senior Lily Amadio only had one way to describe the emotions after field hockey's first win since 2016 — unreal. 

The goalkeeper made four saves and received high praise from her head coach during the 1-0 win against Saint Louis in New York Aug. 26. 

Under new head coach Catherine Ostoich, the field hockey team fought to an overtime loss to Colgate in their first game of the season. In the next game against Saint Louis, the girls knew they could get their first win out of the way in 2018. 

Senior midfielder Leah Umberger scored late in the first half and it turned out that her goal was the game-winner. 

"Someone had to come up with a goal. We had to execute on those corners we had," Umberger said. "Everyone was just kind of hungry and I happened to be the one that touched it in." 

She knew the team needed to take advantage of opportunities like this to get that coveted first win. The defense held steady in the second half. They did it. They earned their first win of the season after not winning a game during the entire 2017 season. 

Since the Aug. 26 win, Umberger has noticed an uptick in energy at practice while preparing for future competitions. 

"We have definitely had a lot of attention to detail (in practice) and have been working on our offensive movement because that's how you win field hockey games," she said. "The team as a whole has been working really well together by feeding off each other's energy."

Ostoich was sure to mention that not only were the girls excited for their first win, but they were eager for more.

"The best part about that win was you look into the players' eyes and they were hungry for more," she said. 

Here are more reactions from the team: 

Amadio: "It was really nerve-racking going into it, being our first game and first weekend ... It was unreal. We had people crying and we had people (that were) just so happy because we have been through so much and put up so much hard work. 

"It felt so good to have that all pay off." 

Umberger: "As you may know, its been a long time since we have had a win. We were just all so hungry for it. The energy was crazy once we scored and everyone really just jumped on the bandwagon because 'we can't let a goal in.'"

Ostoich: "Everybody, fans included, were like five feet in the air after the goal went in and after the game ended. There was emotion everywhere. It was a very special moment as a coach. I don't think I will get that feeling again until I win a championship. 

"We knew our first win was going to be exciting but it was 20 times more exciting just to see the look on (the players') faces."