Fewer calls to city police during Welcome Weekend; commission approves property sale for medical marijuana processing facility

0f4a0121
The Mount. Pleasant City Commission conducts their bi-weekly meeting on Aug. 27 at City Hall.

Calls for service to the Mount Pleasant Police Department during Welcome Weekend were down a third from last year Police Chief, Paul Lauria told city commissioners at their Aug. 27 meeting. 

In addition to the smaller number of calls to 911, the City of Mount Pleasant had zero alert tones used for in-progress crimes between Thursday night and Sunday morning. The alert tones are used by police dispatch to signal crimes in progress such as a fight in progress.

“We’ve seen more progress this year built on last year’s progress,” Lauria said. “It was a success.”

Mayor Allison Quast-Lents followed with a comment that she was not able to meet her new neighbors, due to their scarcity during the weekend. 

Commissioners approved the sale of a parcel of land that may be used for a medical marijuana facility. The commission supported the sale of a 4-acre lot in Industrial Park South for $75,000 between the potential buyer, Rice and Diggs LLC, and the Economic Development Corporation.

The buyer told the city that his plans are to use the space, which has frontage on Isabella Road, for a medical marijuana processing facility. 

In other news: 

• Darcy Orlik was introduced as the city’s new public relations director. She began her role on July 31. A graduate of Central Michigan University, she previously worked as Marketing and Events Coordinator for the College of Communications and Fine Arts and as marketing and human resource officer at Firstbank Corporation. 

“It’s very gratifying to now be a part of city staff where I know together will we fashion and craft effective communication both within Mount Pleasant and beyond,” Orlik said.

• Starting Aug. 10 city commission meetings will begin at 7 p.m. on the second and fourth Monday of each month. During the summer, city commission meetings started at 6:30 p.m.