'I'm doing it for myself': Cassie Breen signs to play basketball professionally

rusco_bball-2

Senior guard Cassie Breen dribbles the ball down the court during the basketball game against Miami Ohio on March 9 at Quicken Loans Arena. 

Dreams keep coming true for former Central Michigan women’s basketball guard Cassie Breen.

In her senior season with CMU women's basketball, the team made a historic run to the Sweet 16 round of the NCAA Tournament. 

Now, she will continue playing basketball professionally for the SPAR Gran Canaria in the Canary Islands of Spain. The team is a part of the Club de Baloncesto Islas Canarias league, which has hosted women’s basketball since 1983.

“I’m doing this for myself, it’s my own dream,” Breen said. “I’ve had this dream since I was a little girl of playing professionally. I’ve got to play Division I college and now I have this chance. It’s kind of like a vacation while playing basketball.”

After the NCAA Tournament, head coach Sue Guevara helped Breen find teams that would be a good fit for her. Breen said she feels like this was her best opportunity.

Breen didn't sign a contract to play until December. She can either stick with SPAR Gran Canaria until the end of the contract and possibly renew it, or play with another team over that time. She did not specify what the contract is worth. 

“It’s worth more than I make now,” she said. “For me it’s not about the money, it’s about playing basketball and playing at the highest level. I’m excited to see the world and have fun while doing it.”

Breen said there isn’t a specific time for her leaving date but it will be within a few weeks. In the CB Islas league, teams are only allowed two foreign players. Breen was the first foreign player to be signed by SPAR Gran Canaria. 

“I’m looking to get more creative with my drives and be better defensively,” Breen said. “Creative finishes, layups and all that stuff and maybe make myself a little bit of a point guard so I can be valuable to this team and anyone I play for in the future.” 

Last season for the Chippewas, Breen started all 35 games and averaged 33.2 minutes per outing. She scored 12.1 points per game while adding 2.7 rebounds and totaling 34 assists. 

Breen plans to carry over getting a high amount of minutes.

“I do plan to play a lot, I don’t think I’d be going there if I was sitting the bench,” Breen said. “I’m guessing if I don’t play that much I won’t be on the team long. 

“My goal is to help this team and see how far I can go whether that’s in this division or in five years in the WNBA.”