Deaf Awareness Week 2018 to celebrate the deaf community

daw-2018-flyer-ver2-page-001
A flyer with a full list of events for Deaf Awareness Week.

Deaf Awareness Week is meant to celebrate and support the people and culture of the deaf community.

September is National Deaf Awareness Month and Central Michigan University will be celebrating deaf awareness from Sept. 24-29.

Throughout the week a variety of events will be open to the public to offer a great opportunity to learn more about Deaf Culture.

The kick-off event for the week is an Information Fair 10-1 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 24 in the Health Professions Building Atrium. 

There will be a Hearing Loss Experience at 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 25 in the Health Professions Building Room 2259.

A Silent Bonfire will be held at 6 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 26 at Camp Weidman, thos in attendance must bring their own chairs, food, and drinks. It is a non-alcoholic event.

DeafBlind Simulations will be offered at various times Thursday, Sept. 27 in the Health Professions Building Room 2250.

The final event of the week will be a Community Panel at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 29 in Anspach Hall Room 161.

ASL Division Director Susan Naeve-Velguth said "each event is designed to be accessible and fun for all, regardless of fluency in American Sign Language."

Tickets for each event are offered at TicketSource and at the door of each event, if seats are still available. 

The series of events are sponsored by the division of American Sign Language in the communication science and disorders division and the Herbert H. and Grace A. Down College of Health Professions.