The weekend ahead: events and entertainment in Mount Pleasant

cmlife

This weekend's events and entertainment are scattered throughout Central Michigan University's campus and the Mount Pleasant community. 

Thursday, Sept. 13:

• Mount Pleasant Farmer's Market -- Support local farmers during the weekly Farmer's Market from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Island Park. 
  • Flint documentary "Nor Any Drop to Drink" discussion -- Meet writer and Director Cedric Taylor and discuss his  documentary highlighting the Flint Water Crisis. The event takes place from 1-2:30 p.m. in Mid Michigan college's community room. Contact Amy Goethe at agoethe@midmich.edu or (989) 386-6622 for more information.
  • Yoga with cats -- For $20, attendees can "downward dog" surrounded by cats from 7-8:30 p.m. at Karma Kat Cafe. One hour of beginner yoga will be followed by a half hour with the cats. Reservations can be made on Karma Kat Cafe's website
  • Karaoke at Rubble's Bar -- Rubble's Bar in downtown Mount Pleasant hosts karaoke every Thursday night from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.
  • Ignite Food Cart launch -- A product of Central Michigan University's New Venture Competition, the student-run food cart will officially sell its first doughnuts from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. downtown Mount Pleasant. 

Friday, Sept. 14:

• Glow in the Park 5k -- The city of Mount Pleasant's Department of Parks and Recreation is encouraging all participants to wear glow-in-the-dark everything. The 5k begins at 8:30 p.m. and will feature games, food and beverages afterward.  
  • Black Sabbath Tribute -- Rubble's Bar is hosting special guest Dio Dale with Black Sabbatical at 9 p.m.
  • Karaoke at The Cabin -- The Cabin Restaurant and Bar hosts karaoke every Thursday night from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m.

Saturday, Sept. 15:

• Woodburning Gourds -- Instructor Julie Tyslicky will teach participants how to burn designs into dried gourds from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Idonea Hersee Classroom at Art Reach of Mid-Michigan. Tickets range from $35 to $40 and can be purchased at the Art Reach website.
  • Nagazi at Rubbles -- The Michigan-made metal band will perform at 9 p.m. at Rubble's Bar. 

Sunday, Sept. 16:

• "Fire Up Your Grille" Car, Bike and Truck Show -- Mid Michigan college will host the auto show from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. The event will include a barbecue lunch for participants and guests. For those interested in showcasing their vehicle, registration begins at the event. Registration costs $20 and is cash or check only.