The opportunity CMU QB Tommy Lazzaro had been waiting for

tommylazzaro
Junior quarterback Tommy Lazzaro throws a pass for Central Michigan against Northern Illinois on Sept. 16 at Huskie Stadium.

Tommy Lazzaro had not taken a snap at quarterback in three years, but that didn't slow him down when aiding Central Michigan in a partial comeback against Northern Illinois in Huskie Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 15. 

He replaced redshirt sophomore starting quarterback Tony Poljan with 6:22 remaining in the third quarter and nearly provided a comeback victory. 

Lazzaro had no time to be nervous. He was unexpectedly placed under center and quickly became excited for the opportunity.

Even though the Chippewas lost to Northern Illinois, 24-16, coach John Bonamego and company may have figured out the offensive inefficiency issues.

The last time Lazzaro threw the football in a game, took a hit or registered a touchdown was in the 2015 season for Dodge City Community College.

Upon arriving at CMU, he sat out behind Cooper Rush in 2016, Shane Morris in 2017 and Poljan through the first three games of 2018. 

Following nine drives, multiples opportunities with near perfect field position and just three points to show, Bonamego finally made a switch. 

"Let's give him a shot for a series and see what happens," Bonamego said of Lazzaro.

Lazzaro rolled the Chippewas down the field. He went nine plays for 66 yards in just over three minutes before taking a  6-yard carry into the end zone, cutting Northern Illinois' lead to 21-10. 

"He comes off the bench and we score, let him keep playing," Bonamego said. 

The junior quarterback did it again on the next drive. 

Lazzaro completed three passes for over 10 yards in a 15-play drive. The final snap was a four-yard rocket in the end zone to redshirt freshman Julian Hicks, making it a six-point game.

Northern Illinois added a field goal and intercepted Lazzaro at the six-yard line to end the game, 24-16. The interception pass went in-and-out of redshirt freshman Cameron Cole's hands before falling into the arms of Vinny Labus. 

Despite the loss, Lazzaro proved himself, and he made the most of the opportunity granted to him. 

Lazzaro was never supposed to come out for the final three drives of the game. Bonamego planned on it being Poljan. But after a touchdown on his ninth-ever play from scrimmage, the fourth-year head coach remained with Lazzaro. 

“Just felt like we needed to do something to spark the offense," Bonamego said. "His ability to maneuver in the pocket and improvise and make positive plays when things are starting to break down. He showed a lot of mettle there."

Poljan, playing for two and a half quarters, only logged 30 passing yards on 5-of-11 passing. Throughout one and a half quarters, Lazzaro pumped out 183 yards of total offense and two touchdowns. 

Lazzaro, at 6-foot-3, 217 pounds, helped redshirt freshman Julian Hicks make his first career reception and first touchdown. It was all due to working with the second string in practice since arriving in Mount Pleasant. 

“Me and him have that chemistry," Lazzaro said of Hicks. "I know where he’s going to be most of the time. But also him being able to get open during the game is a big part of it."

Compared to Poljan's 2.9 quarterback rating, Lazzaro had an 80.4 QBR. He converted on third down multiple times, including a 23-yard wheel route to junior running back Jonathan Ward, which kept the game alive on the final drive. 

Lazzaro, as any honest quarterback would, gave credit to his offensive line. 

"They were giving me a lot of time back there and being able to open up holes for to move around in the pocket was really a blessing and that makes me able to play my game," Lazzaro said. "I can run a little bit and be comfortable.”

Even though CMU was unable to take down Northern Illinois in DeKalb on Sept. 15, it seems as though a formidable offense has emerged.